🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best resources to get better at Python

Started by
2 comments, last by Alberth 1 year, 7 months ago

My Python skill are ok but could use some improvement. Are there any good resources someone knows about?

Advertisement

Not to worry. A spammer/SEO guy will come along shortly and give you a link.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

There are several paths that you can explore.

If you want to improve problem solving skills there are lots of sites with problems to solve. Since you're here, making games are also fun puzzles that you can work on.

If you want to improve programming at a larger scale, I'd recommend finding a few other people and work together. Alternatively, find an open source project that inspires you. It will also introduce important tools like an issue tracker and a version control system. The latter is going to have a big impact, I still don't understand how I ever managed without it.

Towards Python, it has a number of dedicated corners with programming techniques that are different than “normal”. For example generators or async programming. Try them!! It will expand your view on how you can solve things.

And last but not least, there is https://doc.python.org​ , a site with awesome documentation, just reading through it will give you loads of new things you didn't know.

In the longer term, you can dive into more fundamental things, like understanding algorithms (path finding is a nice topic), big O notation, or when (not) to optimize. Trying a different language is also always a good thing. It gives you an informed opinion about it, and even if you don't like it, you will find elements that you can use elsewhere.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement