🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Issue with packed uints in shader on Intel HD-Chips

Started by
21 comments, last by DukeThrust 1 year, 7 months ago

JoeJ said:

Ultraporing said:
If you decide to implement Compute Shaders sometime in the future Heterogeneous-Computing Interface for Portability (HIP) looks promising.

HIP so far is AMD only, and can't run on Windows due to some restrictions of the Windows driver model, afaik. So it's AMD + Linux only, and thus even worse than Cuda.
This also is one reason SYCL is not yet widely supported, as AMD (or somebody else?) implements it on top of HIP, afaik. SYCL is modern C++ for GPUs, so quite interesting…

Its a me again xD.

Found something interesting, its hipSYCL by the university heidelberg and completely open source. Allegedly it supports nvidia, amd and intel. Maybe its of some use.
And I was of the impression HIP was cross platform, only building the compiler and tools was linux? Maybe I misread somewhere in the HIP repo.
Anyways check out hipSYCL.
hipSYCL Github: Link
hipSYCL Youtube Video Tutorial: Link

“It's a cruel and random world, but the chaos is all so beautiful.”
― Hiromu Arakawa

Advertisement

Ultraporing said:
Anyways check out hipSYCL.

Thanks, i've forwarded it to somebody who really wants SYCL : )

But OS section seems to confirm my HIP on Windows concerns are still upright:

Operating system support currently strongly focuses on Linux. On Mac, only the CPU backend is expected to work. Windows support with CPU and CUDA backends is experimental, see Using hipSYCL on Windows.

Afaik AMD tries to fix this, so we'll see…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement