🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL vs D3D11 performance in 2022

Started by
14 comments, last by Geri 1 year, 7 months ago

And i thought i use old HW. Two years ago my computer finally broke, so i have a shiny 8 core + 10TF GPU supercompter now.
At least you have the edge on having a smart phone i guess. I'm still on cell phone. : )

Advertisement

I have disabled the internet and the wifi on it. Now it can be smart… if it can.

Profiling, that's it ?

Jokes aside, like mentioned in another reply, it's all about how you apply it and what your goal is. If your target audience/ platforms need a specific API, you would likely use it. I personally went for dx11, with the important remark that I've wrapped everything around it, so it easier later on to ‘plug in’ another API.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Hi there, thanks for letting me know the difference ?

Geri said:
OpenGL is a mule. It meant to be run on multiple platforms including linux, bsd, windows, mac, embedded systems, consoles, phones, multiple generations of chips cards, combining multiple type of renderings from multiple era, starting from like 1993, includes every luggage and baggage of the past like glbegin, gllists, vertex arrays, vertex objects, support for multiple type of ngeons, lines, multiple generatios of shaders, including vendor specific extensions, a total 200-300 extensions. not just for gaming, but for CAD/CAM type usage.

Have you ever seen the extension list of Vulkan ? It's not that small for something that is not yet 10 years old. https://registry.khronos.org/vulkan/#repo-docs

_Silence_ said:
Have you ever seen the extension list of Vulkan

no, but lets not change it: my life is happy this way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement