🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do I get relevant C++ game development experience?

Started by
25 comments, last by JoeJ 1 year, 9 months ago

In a lot of game dev job offers, I see them requiring experience with C++11 or newer. I'm guessing these companies use their own engine, since no engine is specified, except game dev experience with C++. Now I myself have learned C++, but never used it for games outside of a bit of Unreal, and I've never really known how to get such experience (since its put so vaguely in job offers). Is it through making an engine? or using rendering or game dev libraries, or even using Unreal? Basically are there any specific libraries or engines I can learn C++ from that would be relevant to companies that use custom engines and require C++ game dev experience? Is Unreal the best way to learn how to make games with C++, or are there other resources?

Advertisement

At first I went the hard route, where I made my own “engine” using C++ and OpenGL 4. Now I can appreciate how the Unreal Engine helps out the programmer, so that they don't have to worry about the basic stuff.

Liquifire said:

In a lot of game dev job offers, I see them requiring experience with C++11 or newer. I'm guessing these companies use their own engine, since no engine is specified, except game dev experience with C++. Now I myself have learned C++, but never used it for games outside of a bit of Unreal, and I've never really known how to get such experience (since its put so vaguely in job offers). Is it through making an engine? or using rendering or game dev libraries, or even using Unreal? Basically are there any specific libraries or engines I can learn C++ from that would be relevant to companies that use custom engines and require C++ game dev experience? Is Unreal the best way to learn how to make games with C++, or are there other resources?

You gain this knowledge by making your own games in C++, whether you use your own engine, Unreal, Unity or something else is perfectly fine.
The experience required is that the C++ that games use is slightly different from the C++ in other settings, there are certain things in C++ that games just don't use and that is what it really wants you to know about.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Choosing C++ at this point in time is a waste of energy, time and money, focus on C# and UNITY

No, that would waste yout years, UNITY , the only choice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

@Programmer71 Regardless of how reliable/popular Unity/C# have become (I am a unity developer btw), a good chunk of the industry still relies on C++ (be it Unreal or custom engines). And a lot of companies still expect you to know C++ and have game dev experience with it. Especially for big games since C++ is still much more efficient. A good portion of Unity is even written in C++, so unfortunately, we can't dismiss C++ that easily :p.

@liquifire Something very, very bad must have happened between Unity and @programmer71. He lost his mind, his heart is broken. And now he's spamming just false advertisement for Unity all the time.

Notice the subtle amount of sarcasm in his praise.
And then ignore it.
That's probably all we can do.
Sad. <:|

I dunno. I bought Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine 5, Third Edition. I believe that the whole point of the blueprints is to get rid of the C++ code whenever possible. So, you don't even need to be a C++ guru to use Unreal Engine 5.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement