πŸŽ‰ Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! πŸŽ‰

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to find a team

Started by
20 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1Β year ago

chengyiming1217 said:

@Tom Sloper I am 20 years old. I am studying software engineering in a university. I live in Shandong Province, which is a certain distance from Beijing and Shanghai. I am mainly good at software skills. Of course, I learned Unreal and Unity by myself. I can make some simple games independently, but what I need is further knowledge. I am eager to find a team to accept me, because the strength of one person is too small, I'm really bad at audio and art. I don't want to find a job right now, but also want to find a group of like-minded friends or join a less commercial team. Just because I can't find a community in China, I basically can't meet friends who can design games together. I want to constantly improve my ability to enrich my portfolio, and have a good resume to support me to go abroad to join some game studios when I get employed .The courses in Chinese universities are very loose and rigid, so I spent most of my time self-study on game design, engine use, and recently I began to read some books on computer graphics.

Very good. This is much better info than what you began with. Post this self-introduction in our Hobby Project Classifieds board, and in other game dev forums reachable from or in China. You might also want to include your game interests - what genres and platforms you aspire to work in.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

One of the main issues I see in china is stigmatization of Games and game developers. There are tons of gamers but few actual developers. The reason this is is likely because of the very nature of games content. The best games are similar to the best books movies and tv shows, they tackle on geosocial politics of the area and the day. Due to the CCP's approach to governance, they can not allow and do not want critique of their rules and methods of operation, or any perceived parallels of content. Successful execution can lead to potential" thought crimes", and become passive symbols and beacons of resistance.

If your long term goal is to be a game dev, I'd recommend moving to another country.

There are a lot of things that are banned in china, and a lot of bad things can happen to people who just consume media that oppose the will of the CCP. Being a content creator of any kind puts you on the front line of this culture war, you will be forced to conform to CCP approved content or risk serious penalties.

Due to the above it's no surprise that most china developers choose to stay on the shallow mobile games end of development. This has it's own issues, such as incorporating gambling mechanics into their games. This has forced the CCP to pass gaming laws, limiting the use and consumption of games. When a medium is stripped of all societal critique, it leaves the fluff and addictive dregs of the medium.

Never the less, explore meetup:

https://www.meetup.com/​

Not sure if it operates in china.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/​

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html​

​

​

@GeneralJist Yes, as you said, the problem is really the government, but in fact, these domestic enterprises are not responsible. They clearly have the ability and funds to produce excellent works within the scope specified by the state. They recruit a large number of talents every year, but they are unwilling to let them play their abilities. I do have a desire to go abroad. I really like the development environment that really loves games, But now I know that my ability is not enough to get a job and a stable life in other countries, so I try to communicate and study more online, and I can accumulate a rich practical experience when I graduate, and have a very excellent collection of works Thank you very much for your guidance on my questions. If I feel I can officially become an intern, I will consider going to your company to learn and practice. If I have the opportunity, I would like to become a regular employee, but I need to continue to improve my skills and abilities

None

@Tom Sloper Thank you very much for your advice and guidance

None

Dear chengyiming1217,

I came to this conversation through google,

also looking for people with gamedev experience

Tons of unique ideas, don't know how to start

Whom to contact with

Let's collaborate

@undefined I'm glad you found me, please ask what is your contact information

None

hi again, here is my credentials mailto:abdralinz@gmail.com​ ; and whatsapp no 8/778/492/88/88

@chengyiming1217 Well, I may be actually intrested, i do have a project done in Stride3d (C#) and are myself a senior developer, i do have some help of some designer but if you are willing, we could use an extra hand.

Send me a PM if you like and let's talk about it, we can talk about the project and let's see how it goes.

The only thing i will ask tho if you join is to be constant, i'll certainly not gonna put too much weight on your back from every advance we do on the project, but as with myself and all the other collaborators, constancy is king.

Have a nice day

None

@Tom Sloper Hi, this link is not found, it will be helpful if you update it?thanks a lot!

None

Dear chengyiming1217

I always use Discord to find friends and learn how to dev

Maybe you need some Discord communities?

And now I use this Discord: https://discord.gg/yahaha-766277288902918144​

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement