🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it possible to get a game diploma/degree through remote study?

Started by
12 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 6 months ago

This thread is a continuation of my discontinued thread. I don't know why it was hijacked then discontinued. I hope this doesn't happen again. If it does, I can always go somewhere else, so it's not the end of the world. Anyway, my initial question was if it was possible to gain a degree or diploma from at home/remote study.

I simply do not have the time or resources to study hardcore for years at a school. Plus I would have to move to Edinburgh, Inverness or Glasgow (since I moved to Scotland) to find a decent school that could teach me what I need to know. Even if I was still in the states where I used to live (Taylors, South Carolina) I would've had to move to find such a school anyway, at least as far as I know.

Either way, me moving to a completely different place so I don't have to take the bus or train for hours a day just to get to a 2 or 3 hour class isn't feasible. So I thought, why not find an online course instead? But I cannot find anything like that so far. It doesn't have to be UK based, but if it isn't it would need to accommodate international students.

All I want to know is, would it be possible to get a degree/diploma from at home study? Even if it takes years, as long as I don't have to go anywhere in person, it would work for me. But I keep seeing other people say a lot of these courses aren't designed to help you get a job, yet they would gladly take your money, so what's the point? How is it even possible to get started?

Also I will quote Tom Sloper for continuity:

“That's a problem (referring to the fact that I don't have a degree). You didn't answer my other questions. How old are you? Do you have a career, and if so, in what field? You absolutely do need “qualifications” - a degree, a portfolio, work experience…”

I am 22 years old and I don't have any of those things. I have no career. I came here for advice on what to do next. How do I get started? I could look into creating a portfolio, but that's about all I can do.

Advertisement

CEO355 said:
How old are you? Do you have a career, and if so, in what field? You absolutely do need “qualifications” - a degree, a portfolio, work experience…” I am 22 years old and I don't have any of those things.

OK. Then start with a degree. Figure out how to do it. I can't tell you how. It will impress hirers that you managed despite the odds against you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Is it possible to get a degree through remote study? Yes.

CEO355 said:
But I keep seeing other people say a lot of these courses aren't designed to help you get a job, yet they would gladly take your money, so what's the point?

There are great companies and terrible companies. There are great academic programs and terrible academic programs. They're all different.

The link you posted in the previous thread were for a “bootcamp”, not a degree program.

CEO355 said:
All I want to know is, would it be possible to get a degree/diploma from at home study?

Yes. Before covid there were some schools that have had online-only degree programs, but they were uncommon. Now after covid there are many more schools that continue with online-only options.

There are tons of online only schools.

Quality of them is harder to figure out.

In the past schools were accountable to the results of their students. But now it's kind of a free for all.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Nowadays, most training materials, helpful tutorials, and courses can be found online. You can learn from YouTube videos, download free and shareware software, read instructions for working with engines and clarify unclear points on forums.

^true,

but a degree is still a good bet if your family can afford one.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement