🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How necessary are qualifications?

Started by
11 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 10 months ago

I am new to these forums and unfortunately I don't know where to post a question like this, so if it needs to be moved I understand. I assume it needs to be here. It's not really about business, but it is about career development. My question is more concerned with where to study more about game design. But I don't know if there's a section about where to find courses (or at least how to build a portfolio if I cannot find courses that give me “qualifications”).

Anyway, I want to study from home. I don't want to take a course that requires me to go anywhere in person. So that means there will either have to be no exam, or if there is, the exam will need to be open book so that you aren't required to take it in person. If I can study remotely, this will make things much easier for me as I can then take a course that is anywhere in the English speaking world.

So my main question is, as someone from the US who has moved to the UK (Scotland) does anyone know about a course that is UK based that is like this? Or better yet, one that is US based that is international? Also, do I even need “qualifications” or is there an alternative way into the gaming industry that doesn't involve something like this? Perhaps you could tell me how I could create my own path and find my own knowledge, such as the creation of a game designer's portfolio of some kind (whatever it's called).

As for who to work for, I am assuming most companies or independent developers want someone who is qualified, so that's where it gets tricky. As an alternative, I could also work for myself, make my own games, and then sell them in the market, but the problem is, who would I hire, where would I begin? That's why I came here to these forums. There's just so much I could do, I don't know where to begin.

Advertisement

How old are you, have you gotten a college/uni degree, what work experience have you had? And what efforts have you made to design or build games?

My point is, let's forget about generalizations. Each case has its own specifics. What are your specifics?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Also, what's your end goal?

Designers are different from programmers that are different again from artists. The industry has vastly different requirements and needs for each. Further, not only are the people's qualifications different, but their needs are different. One designer on a project might be working with 6 programmers and 10 artists, another project one designer might be working with 10 programmers and 3 artists. It's also easier to promote an experienced developer into the role of designer than to hire an associate designer fresh from school. The demand for workers reflects these.

You'll want to be specific about schools and programs as they're also difficult to compare. Some “game design” programs teach actual game design and theory, only for graduates to realize there is relatively little demand for their entry level skills. Many “game design” programs teach very little actual game design, instead focusing on other elements: Some “game design” programs are really programming trade degrees or art trade degrees. Some dabble in many game-related subjects with little in programming, a little in art, a little in design, a little in production, and end up giving exposure to many topics but not actually teaching enough in any topic that the person is usable in any role. The person gets an education but not enough training. Still others focus entirely on training the person to do a job, but not enough academic experience for further study. I had a co-worker once who had a game degree and was considering going to a master's degree. He was commiserating about how the university's CS program wouldn't let him in saying he didn't have a rigorous enough background. I worked with him for a while, remembering my own grad studies and PhD qualification exams, discussing in depth what he knew and didn't know. Ultimately I had to agree with the school, while his game school had given him a lot of trade skills for the game programming job he didn't have the background needed for a graduate school that had rigorous math requirements. He'd need to re-take linear algebra since he only knew it for 3D math as it applied to games, need to retake statistics as he only had a background as it applied to game statistics, and take calculus as he didn't really know any of it. There were also several gaps in topics in the science side of computer science he would need to fill. To compare schools you'll need to talk specific programs and specific schools in regard to your specific goals; one school may be a wonderful stepping stone to one path but a terrible stepping stone to a different path.

Every position will have specific qualifications. Deciding where you want to be and what path you want is the 1st step.

Youtube can be a great resource to find knowledge.

Explore the internet, and use other search engines like duck duck go and start page so your not just finding what biz pait the most to google.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

I found this course but it sounds too good to be true. I feel like it may actually be a scam, so before I apply, what do you guys think about it?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but one of their offers was to give the course to me for free if I got a job. I would have to pay for it out of my salary. That just seems suspicious.

I will keep looking for more courses, but the one I am talking about is called Mastered.

[suspicious link removed by moderator]​

The link is secure and it seems fine, otherwise I would not have included it. Does it look authentic? It's so hard to tell.

As for the other posts, here are my replies:

Tom Sloper: I have no degree. I am currently working on my own game that I am making by myself.

GeneraJist: Thanks I will look into YouTube things.

frob: You make it seem like I'll need to take in-person exclusive classes for the next 7-10 years just to get anywhere (don't worry I know that's not what you're actually saying). Though out of curiosity, is it not possible to study remotely for a degree or even a diploma?

As for what path I want to choose, my two most likely options are programming or art. I could also focus on both.

CEO355 said:
I have no degree. I am currently working on my own game that I am making by myself.

That's a problem. You didn't answer my other questions. How old are you? Do you have a career, and if so, in what field? You absolutely do need “qualifications” - a degree, a portfolio, work experience…

CEO355 said:
I found this course but it sounds too good to be true. I feel like it may actually be a scam, so before I apply, what do you guys think about it?

If you think it may be a scam, don't buy into it. My browser says the link is suspicious. As a mod, I removed the link from your post. Your gut feelings were probably correct.

Mastered!?
Mastered!?
Where's the skills that I was offered?
Mastered!?
Mastered!?
You offered only lies.

Sloper!
Sloper!
He's the one that told me better.
Sloper!
Sloper!
Opening my eyes.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement