🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Game - Language, etc.

Started by
1 comment, last by Thaumaturge 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey Guys, we're coding beginners (intensive 6 Months into JS, HTML, CSS & Java. Our focus within those 6 months were on Java) - (We also have some basic Python knowledge)

We have a group project (3ppl) and would like to write a simple game;

The game should run on a:

- Rapsberry Pi + monitor

- Game in 2D (language unknown) (sidescroller, arcade, ...) in between code quiz for the player, if answered correctly, (HTML, CSS, JS, JAVA questions) the ingame properties change (for example: "color: red;" - change some ingame color to red...)

- integrate sound

- keyboard/mouse/joystick? (for control)

- multiplayer(?)

- Highscore DB

We are struggling to get our heads around the right language for us.

What we‘ve found so far:

- Pygame (Python Framework)

- Unity (looks like drag and drop, we would like something more Code related)

- Lua

We have 10 weeks for the project and around 10 hrs daily/week on average to work on that project.

What are your opinions on that topic? Any recommendations on languages etc.?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

It's been a while since last I used Unity, but I don't think that it's a purely drag-and-drop engine--I think that there is still a coding side to it.

That said, if you want a code-centric engine, let me suggest Panda3D. (Link: https://www.panda3d.org/​ )

In terms of code-language, you can develop for it with either Python (as I do) or C++, I believe.

As to your requirements, I think that you can build for the Raspberry Pi with it--but do check on that. Otherwise, I believe that it should be possible to do all that you list there: sound, multiplayer, controls, 2D elements, etc.

It's also open-source.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement