🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is this genre called?

Started by
5 comments, last by frob 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey!

i had interest for game making and programming a long time (like since im 12 years old), but i never really got into it because as soon as i started with something it was so much information and input that i thought i would just do it "another day".

A few months ago i used python, i learned about classes, loops, variables and also used some libraries like pypdf and so on and i also did a program with a gui, mailmerge and smtplib that sends automatically a mail (bill) to the person that "bought" something. I also played around with Blender and had a lot of fun making simple characters

Now i started again somehow to get a lot of interest in a specific genre of games.

I think some of you know the game, it is called "Devil Daggers" and i love the artstyle, the sounds etc.

I would love to start again with a little bit more basic knowledge of programming but i dont know where to start in that specific genre of those games.

Like what engine should i use? Is there a specfic word for the genre?

Advertisement

Redoxi said:
i had interest for game making and programming … what engine should i use?

This is not a Game Design question. I wish people would stop posting everything and anything in the Game Design forum. What is Game Design?

Moving thread to the For Beginners forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefined Oh okay see that :D will do next time ^^

This one?

Like most games it fits into many genres. It is a first person shooter because of the viewpoint and the shooting. It also a single-player, endless arena shooter, as that's how the progression is set up. It is an action game, because it is based around reaction time and coordination. I'm sure you people can identify additional categories it falls into, perhaps with demons / horror, categories for the art style, and more.

@frob Thanks ^^ Is there a specific good starter guide how i could get graphics like that game, or that type of endless arena?

No. That's the culmination of likely thousands of hours of work. There is no tutorial.

If you have specific questions about specific implementation details, those have tutorials. But you can find them in your favorite search engine just as easily as me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement