🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Scaling System

Started by
0 comments, last by Andrew-D 2 years, 3 months ago

Greetings all!

I am currently working on a single player project in unreal engine with C++, that is an attempt to replicate a Skyrim style scaling system for my game. I am currently running into a issue on how far to take and or implement this concept. The basic idea, is that the world will scale NPC's levels and attributes to a random level within range of the players level, +/- 3 levels. I have gotten this aspect of the design to function, but lack any experience on what would be considered a good linear scaling algorithm. My experience/testing has mainly been creating a data set in excel and generating a set of 60 levels with values that grow based off the formula.

I am looking for any and all input anyone may have or an idea of what a good approach to refining this system would be? I would like to refrain from hard coded values, as I want to be able to scale the game up and down at a later date, as well as for preference in programming. Also, finding a reference of a similar scaling algorithm has not borne any fruit on my end.

For the sake of this post, here is a brief concept of my basic formula.

NPC_lvl = random int in range of (char level -3 = min) & (char level +3)
NPC_Health = (((NPC_lvl * Health_Scalar) + Base_Health ) + Modifiers(If any))

As mentioned above any input is welcome! I am new to this and trying to understand a good approach to designing something like this, as I would like to adapt the concept to further character attributes and other areas.

Andrew D'Alessio

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement