🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Internship Possibility

Started by
20 comments, last by dpadam450 2 years, 5 months ago

@Programmer71 I am now studying javascript/CSS, but when it comes to a library, I don't know what to pick. As you said, these things tend to change. Any recommendations? I like well-documented subjects and easy debugging.

Advertisement

I don't know anything about web programming, my main focus is c++ , vulkan and opengl, but there are lots of tutorial out there, just search, but i advice you to take a more focused course , try udemy , there are alot of cheap courses which will give you clear directions, instead of trying to understand things from poor youtube tutorials or outdated informations.

Hai Josheir,

Did you consider writing code for an open source project? Find one with a running game, an audience of users, and active development that accepts pull requests with a review process. A code-style of the project is likely also a good thing (it's likely different from what you're used to, and will feel awkward at first, but usually each project has a different style so it's useful to code in a style that is not yours.)

Such projects always have a list of open issues that you can work on, and getting a review of your work means you will get feedback about your solution. It will bring you in close contact with real-world programming :p

I don't know how well this idea fits in your goals, but it may be worth considering.

Last but not least, if you want I can do a review of some code of you. Something C++ looks like the best candidate for me.

Albert

@Alberth Oh, Albert it is good to hear from you again. It has been a while. This idea of yours to do Open Source seems like it would be a great way to learn and ask questions. Thanks! I wouldn't mind a review of the Platform program mentioned above, It is written in C++.

Thanks for the offer,

Joshua

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that it's against the law to discriminate on the basis of age, especially when it comes to sedentary jobs… in Canada anyway.

taby said:

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that it's against the law to discriminate on the basis of age, especially when it comes to sedentary jobs… in Canada anyway.

Yes, age discrimination is illegal in the US also. That does not mean a middle-aged novice will find a job as easily as a youthful college grad of equivalent skill.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have sustained lots of job interviews both in italian and english , and albeit I have answered to all questions and solved the programming assignments (sp??) in due time, I suspect I have been discriminated becasue of my age (40).

@taby I think it is a good point, how you look at it really.

I looked at the C++ project. The formatting is very odd. You use 1s and 0s as bools. Magic numbers are everywhere. Parameter lists to functions are very long. From the few comments it looks like you have dead code lying around. Overall, it doesn't look like you are that familiar with C++. Also, I get the impression that you lack experience with code design, since you have a function called “whileFunction” as an example, and the code looks to be lacking structure.

I see you have most of your projects in C++. C++ is used in gamedev, embedded programming, and some performance critical applications. All of those jobs more-or-less require experts. I work in the embedded industry and I have never worked with any software developer that didn't have an engineering degree.

I also see you've done some Javascript, and you mention you have an interest in frontend. I think your best bet to work as a software developer would be as a frontend web developer. There are tons of those jobs. React seems to be the most popular framework these days, so I would go with that. Also learning Typescript is almost a must, as well as being good at CSS and HTML. I believe it is possible to get this kind of job without a formal engineering degree. Some shorter courses or bootcamps seem to generally be enough to begin as a Junior developer.

@undefined I know all the rules about programming structure now, I don't know why I wasn't more careful. I guess I just needed the experience because I am self-taught. There was no educator to instill values. I am going with a full overhaul on my javascript/golang code and refactoring everything. I think this will teach me to do things correctly. I appreciate the comments about React and education. I would still like to work in gaming, even with javascript, maybe I could one day switch to another language. I think I will take your advice and continue with JavaScript. Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement