🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any good programming exercise?

Started by
15 comments, last by 8Observer8 2 years, 6 months ago

Simply reading about concepts and taking notes is not enough. I'm having a hard time finding a way to practice, since I don't even know where to start.

I'm looking for any websites or books that have some beginner-intermediate level problems to solve. Maybe prompts, fill-in-the-blanks, or debugging exercises.

Thanks for reading!

Advertisement

What language are you learning? C, C#, python? I would suggest finding challenges that fit your interest. Can you program a simple choose your own adventure game? Can you create a window?

Tried typing “programming exercise” in your favorite search engine?

@Zaris Sorry I should've specified, but C++ and python are two of my main focuses right now. I can do a basic text adventure game but don't really know how to start with creating a window or anything more complex.

@Alberth Thanks for taking the time to help! (:

You want to look up pygame.org; There are multiple videos on youtube and written tutorials available. If you want a book, I like crash course in python; it has 3 chapters to making a game. After you gone through a full tutorial, i would make breakout; Need to be able to create a game loop; check collisions, and get user input.

@Zaris Your suggestions are much appreciated friend!

There is an app which is a fun fill in the blanks with little quizzes I just started using myself called “Learn C++” I find it fun and very helpful to just go through the exercises while I am hanging out instead of just playing games on my phone.

SeñorSpock said:
I can do a basic text adventure game but don't really know how to start with creating a window or anything more complex.

Many programming exercises are about algorithms, that is how do you compute the solution to a (math-like) problem. For example find a sequence of steps to solve a puzzle, or find a value from a list that is nearest the average of all values of the list. Small how-to-compute-this problems.

Your problem may be more in how to scale from small programs to larger applications. That is, how to structure the code so you don't get lost in where things are while ensuring that you have access to all parts that you need. If that is the case, you may want to read more general programming books or software engineering books. They don't do much in a particular language, but they address concerns and approaches that you have when you write software (in any language).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement