🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Blocks&Entities data base

Started by
0 comments, last by JackOpsX 2 years, 7 months ago

I am currently in the process of creating my first video game, it will be a rogue-like platformer, (Similar to noita's design) but will not implement blocks physics (I'm focusing on linear-story, less interactive…).

Currently I'm facing a problem, I want to implement a very good AI/Pathfinding for enemies and my current blocks database is just a vector of all the blocks on the map.

I'm not sure how to build the blocks database, meaning how should I store them, a 2D array is how I'm thinking, but is it the best way to go? I know there is no such thing as the best database, but since my game will not allow map modification is this a recommended database?

Secondly, I was worried about how will including a graph for pathfinding impact my performance, since I will have to modify A* algorithm (Platformer's pathfinding is way harder than top-down, I will have to pre-calculate jumps to see if an enemy can jump, some enemies have bigger hitboxes and different jumps heights, etc…), should I place a node on top of every block? or fill each empty block with a node?

I am still new to designing games and I work alone on it, so I would love to get a recommendation on which data bases to look for and which to skip.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement