🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

ISO ASCII top down terrain generator

Started by
3 comments, last by Thaumaturge 2 years, 7 months ago

I asked this several years ago (here on gamedev.net), and I tinkered with it off and on, but real life took over. So hope there is fresh blood out there to tackle this.

All my terrain generators are too random. What I am looking for is a function like

generateLand(x,y) // where x= width, y= height

And the end result would look something like:

However, do not need color, I can ad this. but when I do it, it is just random characters. no rhyme or reason. I cannot believe I cannot find a tutorial on this anywhere, or even scripts (lots of side scrolling ones, but no top down).

Think dwarf fortress but only a half dozen characters instead of a ton - like DF LOL

Any language is ok, I should be able to convert it. Current.y I am playing around with qb64 - love it.

Thanks again

Advertisement

This is a such specific question that I don't beliefe there is something like a tutorial or working project you simply could overtake. You could instead read into general terrain generation, for example in this thread

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/692945-creating-a-3d-world-for-an-rpg/

and convert it to work with an ASCII engine. I however have been looking at some project which tried to bring the 80s/902 charm back to modern languages like ASCIIEngine or the Console-Graphics project which is rendering 3D ASCII like seen in this YouTube video

but none of them is really using anything further than rendering. I think looking at general terrain/map generation is your best bet to get started

This I have been doing, but all of them are 3D, or hi res, not ASCII. the other tutorials I found are of side scrolling terrain, not what I was looking for. side-scrollingside-scrolling

Yet as far as the 80's up to even modern games like DF, you can still find top-down ASCII procedural terrain like the image in my OP.

It is odd. I would have thought this would be a simple script, so I don't feel bad now hahaha

Given that the word “terrain” is often enough used in reference to 3D geometry, you might perhaps find more information if you search instead for “biome generation”, or something like that.

For example, in a search for “2d biome generation” I turned up this page, which might have some useful information:

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/59486/procedual-terrain-generation-and-biomes-predetermined-variation

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement