🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

School Project. Would love some feedback on being a Gameplay Designer and what in entails.

Started by
1 comment, last by Alberth 2 years, 7 months ago

l am creating a presentation on my desired role as a Gameplay Designer and how I plan to further develop my skills. Because I need to do research into this I thought why not hear in the forum to hear what you guys think and what is like in the real world of being a Gameplay Designer. What are required skills to do commercial grade work and are all areas required for this work? Are these the most important skills to have; environment modeling and texturing, character hi-poly modeling, character low poly modeling, UV work, character texturing, character rigging, character animation, prop modeling and texturing, world building in the engine being used, map optimization for performance, client side programming, graphics programming, server side programming, cross OS/platform experience, sound design, voice overs, music, scheduling, basic business, contract reading and planning?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, so that I can have a better understanding of what skills I need to improve upon or develop.

Cheers,

Joe

Advertisement

The site has a policy for not allowing homework, so I cannot answer the questions.

However, from reading your description, it feels to me like you have a set of skills you like and now finding out how well they fit the designer label? Wouldn't it be more logical to research about common jobs in game development, and then see how the set skills you mention are distributed over those jobs?

Success with your research!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement