🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

vr game dev

Started by
10 comments, last by Shaarigan 2 years, 8 months ago

Shaarigan said:
Maybe but from my experience, Unity has the better mobile capabilities, especially on Quest. My employer is doing a AAA VR project and validation happened to come to the conclusion that Unity works better on Quest and Quest 2 from a technical standpoint

Well whats the “better” mobile capabilities then? I have been able to use Unreal on Quest 2 just like I would on PC, so there is nothing that Unreal can't do on mobile that Unity can. Of course if you generally prefer Unity then you will also prefer Unity on mobile, but there is no limitation making Unreal any worse on mobile than Unity Mobile or Unreal on PC in VR. (not that I'm talking about recently, not sure what your time-frame is, maybe thats been the case a year ago but the project we did was this summer. Also we did the same validation to see if we were going to do the project in Unity or Unreal; in fact its been our first unreal-project in the company. but our conclusion was Unreal is better suited for this type of application on Quest).

Shaarigan said:
You have to perform some extra work. Oculus requires some specific behavior for their platform, especially startup and shutdown are more similar to a mobile game instead of a PC title. They also provide some API features other headsets might not have, like the 2D canvas you can render to. On the other hand, there exists OpenXR which is a utility library like OpenGL but for VR and AR devices to unify APIs and driver things

This is of course only if you not use an engine. At least Unreal doesn't require any specific setup minus a few platform-specific commands (requesting "permissions" for stuff like microphone on android)

Advertisement

Shaarigan said:

batman6914 said:
to work with other headsets (not standalone like quest)? Or in order to do this i have to do the project from the start for each platform?

You have to perform some extra work. Oculus requires some specific behavior for their platform, especially startup and shutdown are more similar to a mobile game instead of a PC title. They also provide some API features other headsets might not have, like the 2D canvas you can render to. On the other hand, there exists OpenXR which is a utility library like OpenGL but for VR and AR devices to unify APIs and driver things

It was actually @vothegreat who said that. @batman6914 is an impostor who just parroted Vo…

Juliean said:
Of course if you generally prefer Unity then you will also prefer Unity on mobile, but there is no limitation making Unreal any worse on mobile than Unity Mobile or Unreal

I don't even prefer any of these, I dislike both on the one or the other side

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement