🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

how to approach learning unreal engine 5

Started by
2 comments, last by Shaarigan 2 years, 8 months ago

hi.

as an unreal engine developer, i need to know what are big differences between unreal 4 and 5.

basically, as I search the pages, unreal 5 is like unreal 4 with more features like nanite and…

maybe there are many debugging and performance update behind the scenes but what are different in new version of unreal? are all nodes the same in blueprint or does c++ work the same or there are dramatic changes in the new version?

Advertisement

UE5 is still in pre-release alpha ("Early Access"), so all the documents and tutorials aren't out yet.

Load it up like you would UE4 and try Nanite. That's basically a “turn it on” feature; you don't have to do much. Although I tried a few months back, and Nanite didn't work on Linux yet, so I shelved UE5 until it matured more.

As from what I saw on their GitHub repo, Unreal Engine 5 is just an updated version of Unreal Engine 4. The tools are the same, the modules are quiet the same and the overall project structure is the same as well. The only difference is more code modules, especially Nanite and the other thing they had in their showcase.

And as far as I know, Nanite is something used automatically (as it generates on-demand LODs), so don't worry about that.

From an engine developer's perspective, it won't make any sense to rewrite a system from scratch as long as you don't have to, so it won't make sense either to not make use of the Unreal Engine 4 base when creating Unreal Engine 5. Even if Epic has more money than Facebook, they don't have time to waste so guess everything should work as you're already familiar with from the predecessor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement