🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What I need to be a game developer

Started by
5 comments, last by Nagle 2 years, 8 months ago

Hi guys,

I'm making this topic to ask you guys a question. What does I need to become a game developer? I know this might sound like a dumb question, but I'm really don't know what should I do to pursue my career of becoming a game developer. All I know is we need to learn C++, C#,… If you guys give any advice, I would be really appreciate. Thank you for reading my topic!

P/s: Sorry for my bad English. If there's any misunderstanding, I'm really sorry.

Advertisement

Hi and welcome!

You need a tool to develop a game, and there are plenty of tools. There are tools that enables you to make games without any programming skills, or you can create something from the scratch with notepad and a compiler :-)

Maybe you can look at some video tutorials about this topic and let them guide you. Personally I use C# (productivity language) for server and typescript/JavaScript with WebGL for frontend (browser game).

Programming is only one of the disciplines within game development. If you've already decided you want to become a programmer, then learning C++ or C#, or both, is something you'll need to do. The internet is full of helpful instructions on how to pursue this, and all the tools you need are free. After getting basic mastery of programming, you'll have to learn about the various systems that go into a game, and possibly specialize in one or a few of those.

Or perhaps being a graphical artist is more for you? There are pixel-art artists, texture artists, environmental 3D artists, character 3D artists, 2D and 3D animators, you name it. The internet is also shock full of instructions on how to get started on building either of those skills, and you can find free tools to do anything you need.

Lets not forget musicians and sound- and special-effects artists, and voice actors; few games would be complete without music and sound. Again, the internet, yadda yadda.

There are also designers. Anything from level designers, to interaction and gameplay designers, writers, and the list goes on. This is typically what people envision when they think “game designer”; someone with the big ideas that everyone else then implement. The reality isn't quite like that though, and you'll be well served to start out with pursuing some productive skill .

If you want a career in large game companies, you'll typically need to specialize in a very narrow slice of this, whereas if you want to work in a small company or even start out for yourself, you'll be wearing many hats. There are pros and cons to each, but personally I think everyone would benefit from having tried a wider set of roles for at least some period of their life.

Game developer is a umbrella term that means anyone developing games.

As said above, there are numerous jobs you can specialize in.

I'm surprised Tom hasn't showed up, plugging his FAQ on jobs in the game biz.

But to start, you should decide a field, do you want to be in art administration, code or music?

You can carve out a path there. and further specialize as needed

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

@quocdu308 Which part of developing games (writing code, making levels, making 3d character models, etc) interests you?

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

quocdu308 said:
What does I need to become a game developer? I

Another source of income.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement