🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to become an Indie Developer?

Started by
3 comments, last by GeneralJist 2 years, 3 months ago

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for an indie developer? I am looking to do small projects. I feel this would help expand my skills and ideas further. I know that not all indie developers make it big, but a lot of indie games are actually fun and I would like to give it a try. I am currently graduating this December with my BS Game Development and Programming.

Advertisement

You need at least solid skills in what you're doing, regardless of project experience, it is worth more if you know what you're doing than being involved in many projects. Practise yourself by for example take part at game jams, do some games in your spare time with some friends and don't worry to show what you have. Indie game development is based on people which like making games, some unique ideas and a little bit of polishing work in the end. Just stay on track and very important, finish what you started!

If you receive positive feedback on your game, you might start to look for a publisher. Publishers have the experience on marketing you need. Create a pitch deck for your game and then try to find the right publisher for it. Most of them have a specific portfolio you need to reserahc in order to place your game

Seriously? Don't.

This is similar to saying I want to be an Indie Rock Star, after learning to play the guitar. Yes. There are a few lucky individuals who make it. The vast 99.999% do not.

If you really want to go into game development (as I assume you do, given your degree) seek a job in an established gamedev company. That can be hard enough on it's own (depending on where you live), but if you get your foot in the door, you'll build up vital knowledge, and - if you're smart - connections and experience. Then if you're still crazy enough, after some years you can try to strike out on your own (your chances of success remain small, but at least you've maximized your chances).

If you just want to do games as a hobby, just follow the advice above (do game jams, hack a lot, etc).

Michael A. - Software Engineer, moonlighting as a game developer
A Brief History of Rome
Pirates and Traders

To become a successful indie dev takes an astronomical amount of work, and even if you get your game finished, and it's as you imagine, you need marketing.

It's too competitive to do alone. and making and managing a team is hard work.

Best advice is to do a mod for something, build up your experience and connections, and then transfer to indie.

Indie devs toil in obscurity for years. sometimes alone, misunderstood, living paycheck to paycheck.

It's a hard road and long road to success. But nothing can match the sense of accomplishment by seeing your game played by actual strangers.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement