🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which GameEngine should I use for voxel-RTS-game?

Started by
5 comments, last by Shaarigan 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey there,

I'm completely new to game-development and I want to create a command-and-conquer like RTS (mainly for learning reasons, but maybe if it turns out to be good also to share with the community). My preferred language is C#. I'm looking for sth. which gives me a lot of physics etc. from the beginning so I don't have to code everything from scratch.

I really like voxel engines (like cnc ra2) and am wondering if it is possible to implement some new technologies like seen in “teardown” which make buildings etc, destructible. I also looked at tools like voxelfarm, but am not sure if it is the right thing for what I have in mind (in terms of voxel aesthetics and scale) ?

So which game-engine should I use and which game engines are even capable of producing these voxel aesthetics? I also wonder if I have an RTS scale (=many house objects from above) will I get performance issues with voxel style etc?

So as you can see I'm quite new and helpful for any tips and ideas!

Thanks in advance <3

Advertisement

cphr said:
My preferred language is C#

Then you have barely other options than using anything ready to handle C# or learn a new programming language. There is Unity3D and Godot that I'm aware of have C# bindings at least

cphr said:
I'm looking for sth. which gives me a lot of physics

What do you need physics for in an RTS game?

cphr said:
which game engines are even capable of producing these voxel aesthetics?

Every game engine can probably give you what you're looking for but everything has a price! Voxel graphics and “some new technologies like seen in “teardown” which make buildings etc, destructible” aren't a general usecase for most common engines and so not for free in case of you have to implement them on your own.

This is what usually an engine team is for, implementing technology you need in your game

Thanks for answering!

Maybe physics is the wrong word (?) but I want to have an destructible environment with no floating elements.

I also want to have units/vehicles which have a real damage model, so when you hit one of four tires it's blown away and the vehicle moves slower on three tires f.e..

UE4 uses c++ which is pretty similiar to c#. There is a free UE4 plugin called “voxel plugin” which can generate nice worlds, which is why I think about that - but as I said I'm a complete beginner and have no overview yet of other possibilities.

cphr said:

My preferred language is C#

….UE4 uses c++ which is pretty similiar to c#.

… I'm a complete beginner and have no overview yet of other possibilities.

Do you prefer C# due to prior experience with it? Otherwise, you should definitely do some programming exercises in these languages first. Even though that alone might not make your decision, there are several differences between C++ and C# that you'll need to take into account.

I have experience in both c++ and c#. I know there are differences, but also very many similiarities (which come naturally, as c# derived from c++). But as you said it's not my main-argument for chosing one engine.

cphr said:
many similiarities

… NO!

Sorry but C# is different from C++ in many major points that they both have their pros and cons over each other. Starting from the memory model over enforced OOP up to things that look similar on the first peek but are totally different, like Generics vs. Templates for example.

cphr said:
but I want to have an destructible environment with no floating elements

What exactly is your point here? Mean, an RTS game is, like the name points out, “Realtime Strategy” so you are giving commands to your troops and they perform some actions on them. Why do you have a need for physics or destructable environment, which can't be solved by usual programming logic?

I mean, you don't have a player walking around, jumping on everything they find and shooting on walls. Instead you have small animated units or orcs or whatever your game will be about which need an attack target to perform damage and even then you don't need bullet physics or hit boxes to have your sword precise slice an enemy's head from the body.

If you want the chance to have vehicles loose a wheel, then program it, if you want environment to be breakable, add models with a death animation.

RTS games are one of those which don't need straight magic in order to make impressive results

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement