🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What are you attracted from?

Started by
4 comments, last by JoeJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am new here and, more in general, in the video game world.

I am not a developer, neither an artist, so I have no technical skills but I have some game ideas and I would like to realize one or more of them.

Excluding the option to gain all the needed skills and go only by myself (I think it would really take too much time and resources), and to hire someone for budget reasons, how can I find and involve developers and artists to form a team? What would you be attracted from to evaluate the possibility to be a part of a team?

Thank you,

Federico

Advertisement

As ideas is all you have to offer, the skilled people you try to attract bring already more to the table. And beside skill they also have their own ideas, so why should they spend their free time to work on your ideas instead theirs?

I think you can try to convince them by showing your ideas are better. You could work out a design document about your game, present it here and ask for people interested to contribute. This happens quite often here on the forum and can work.

@JoeJ Thank you very much, JoeJ.

I think you're definetly right when you say they bring already more to the table and that's why I asked that.

Ok, so, if I am not wrong, what you suggest is to prepare that document called GDD (Game Design Document) and share it, isn't it?

Start with a shorter version of the design. A game design treatment is maybe ~20 pages and gives a good idea of the game without having to go into minute detail.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

bellofresco said:
Ok, so, if I am not wrong, what you suggest is to prepare that document called GDD (Game Design Document) and share it, isn't it?

Yes, but can be just a description in a post, not necessarily 10 pages sharing all of your ideas in detail.
While reading, i'd try to get not only an impression about your planned game, but mainly about your competence as project leader / game designer, or however we name it in context of a hobby project. It's not clear if you are aware about the scope and work necessary to complete even a small game, for example.

Problem is, small projects don't really need such a position. I'd recommend you download Unity / UE and play around, watch some tutorials, etc. They have asset stores with lots of free content and templates. So even as a non programmer / modeler, you can still practice to design levels and worlds. E.g. UE defaults with a small world made of boxes, and you can edit and play this with default FPS controls.

After some time, you could then say ‘i'm no skilled programmer or artist, but i have some experience with making levels.’ Much better start.

I guess really anybody who works on games can do at least some scripting, including artists. So you want to try this too at some time. Scripts are programs, and programming itself is not hard if the problem isn't hard, which is often the case. (E.g. write a script that opens a door if player enters some trigger volume.) Writing a simple game like Pong / Pacman is also something you might want to try. It's a lot easier nowadays with all those Engines and Frameworks caring about low level stuff. I guess you can find some template, edit code and see what happens.

bellofresco said:
(I think it would really take too much time and resources)

Yep, but that's how games are made. No matter if in team or alone. So you better start early than late, and you better start small not big. That's the general advise at least. ; )

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement