🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Roots of Pacha: a pixel prehistoric life simulator

Started by
16 comments, last by valravnx 3 years, 3 months ago

Hello!

Let me introduce to you Roots of Pacha (developed by Soda Den) - a life/farm simulator in a prehistoric setting. This game is intended to give the players the unique experience: here you will rule and develop the primal tribe, leading it toward civilization.

From the dark days of wandering through deadly forests the tribe will went to much more comfortable living conditions after you'll teach them how to chop trees, grow vegetables and domesticate wild animals.

The key point is evolution: you have to constantly improve the life conditions of your people making them more and more safe and happy. The game supports multiplayer, so you will have an opportunity to invite your friends and survive together.

What do you think about the style, graphics quality and the animation technique?

Any questions are welcome.

Advertisement

That looks really nice!

Hey Vilgotsky,

Love the artwork there. It very much has a oldschool harvest moon type feel to it. The animation looks to be pretty well done from the trailer as well. In particularly, I noticed the flowing water around the crops and the action animations such as picking a plant and fishing. Can only hope at this point that the game I'm working on will look at least this good. ?

So, how far does the evolution go? Meaning, does this go through all the manual growth and expansion into more automation of like the industrial revolution and end up in some futuristic state by the end of the game?

taby said:

That looks really nice!

Thanks a lot!

BinaryToshokan said:

Hey Vilgotsky,

Love the artwork there. It very much has a oldschool harvest moon type feel to it. The animation looks to be pretty well done from the trailer as well. In particularly, I noticed the flowing water around the crops and the action animations such as picking a plant and fishing. Can only hope at this point that the game I'm working on will look at least this good. ?

So, how far does the evolution go? Meaning, does this go through all the manual growth and expansion into more automation of like the industrial revolution and end up in some futuristic state by the end of the game?

Thanks for your reply! It's actually set in the late stone age and early bronze age. The game tries to evoke the feeling of discovery of that time. When inventing a new farming technique like irrigation channels or discovering how to work with clay were important achievements. We do take elements outside this age that still fit in the game but you won't evolve into the modern world.

Vilgotsky said:
What do you think about the style, graphics quality and the animation technique?

Some inconsistency: Trees in the first image have no outline, but the others do. Tree shadows look somewhat blotchy. Maybe a smaller / lighter shadow, and only one shade like for the characters would look better. The shading of the trees in the middle image feels to high contrast and detailed - they dominate over the characters. Those form the first image are more flat, but match the rest of the image much better.

Because of the overall high detail, the animated gif looks too static. Foliage bending a bit with the wind (or some other animations on the background) would help i think.

Yes, really nice otherwise! : )

@JoeJ thanks a lot for your feedback!

This looks really neat! I had a look at the website too, nice little intro video.

What are some of the technologies that you're using to create this?

Keen to see what it becomes!

Kind Regards,
Ian Hogers

e: info@ianhogers.com

@SanCoca thank you very much!

What are some of the technologies that you're using to create this?

Unity as engine, mostly Aseprite for sprites. C# for programming and some shader stuff.

Expanding your influence over the world, you will discover many wonderful ways of community development. Of course, you need a map for distant travels into the new lands. And you will have such an option in Roots of Pacha: a mini-map mode will help you to observe the territory you own.

Development team humbly asks you to rate the graphic design. Also there’s a question, does the mini-map look comfortable?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement