🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do I create demo (.DEM) files for the Genesis3D game engine?

Started by
0 comments, last by yaboiryan 3 years, 5 months ago

So I was searching around the internet and found the Genesis3D game engine. It immediately looked appealing, and even more so when I discovered that the first version, the one that I wanted to use, was considered abandonware by its developers and the license was worthless.

So, I dug out my old Windows 95 machine and installed DirectX and Visual C++ 6 on it. I got the sample game and the engine to compile, and I thought everything was going to be free falling from there.

Well, for the most part, it has been.

There is one issue, though, that I cannot figure out: how do I create .DEM files for Genesis3D? These are not the terrain .DEM files that you may think of at first, but the Demos that play at the beginning of Quake and Half Life. I cannot seem to find a way to make Genesis3D record new .DEM files that I could use.

Here is what I know. I know that Quake and Half Life have their own recording methods working, and I also know that the .DEM files used in Quake and Half Life are very similar to that of Genesis3D, but when I tried to fit the .DEM file I created from Half Life into the Genesis3D engine, I get an error that says there is an issue with the buffer size.

If anyone out there knows anything about a way that I could do this, any help would be greatly appreciated, as the .DEM files that are given with the Genesis3D sample project dont work with any of the (few) programs that I have tried.

Thank you in advance!

-yaboiryan2003

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement