🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A good IDE?

Started by
16 comments, last by Josheir 3 years, 6 months ago

What is recommended for a good free IDE for PHP and Javascript together?

Advertisement

i use PhpStorm at work. For free i would use vscode.

notepad++ was my best friend -lol- with no debuggers, and you'd use some scp to ftp upload the php and test in internet explorer in its crashing days - now that was a real environment, no cloud no nutt'n like dat man ?

nowadays u even got online PHP compilers -dam-

anyway, try the Netbeans.org editor, some of my ex-cos swore on this editor, this editor has support for various languages including syntax highlighting 'Uuuuuu' - not just green on black, dude, it's gotta be some' right…

All the best man ? all the best

I used to use Notepad++, to code PHP, and html / javascript. I used Filezilla to upload / download.

Before that I used ultraedit, it had a nice FTP integration, so you could work transparently on your remote files.

All

of that is pretty low level. As far as I know there should be proper PHP IDE existing nowadays.

PHP Storm is one of them. I haven't tried, but it seems to score high on the list I found during a quick google.

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/php-ide-and-online-php-editors/

Chao55 / Retro Games, Programming, AI, Space and Robots

Currently working on HyperPyxel paint program - http://www.hyperpyxel.com​​ and an asteroids clone under my "Game1" javascript game "engine".

endless90 said:

i use PhpStorm at work. For free i would use vscode.

Seconded. I use vscode for most of what I'm doing, be it at work or at home. It's great to have something you make in typescript in one folder, the php in another, and having it just run from the same ide+workspace. I love being able to just put a breakpoint anywhere and have the corresponding debug session stop there, be it on client or server. Can strongly recommend this.

I'm not understanding how to debug both javascript and php with visual code. I have source code with both of them on the same page.

Josheir said:

I'm not understanding how to debug both javascript and php with visual code. I have source code with both of them.

Do you have the PHP debugger extension installed (felixfbecker.php-debug)? And the “Debugger for Chrome” (msjsdiag.debugger-for-chrome)?

Their documentation and launch config templates allow you to launch each separately - then you can switch between them in the debug bar that appears.

So, either one or the other is run at a time?

Josheir said:

So, either one or the other is run at a time?

No, either one or the other is started at a time, but they can both be run in parallel.

Actually, you can just as well configure a launch option to launch/watch both at once if you like.

Is there any simple information on this, I've been researching for a while.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement