Strategy / civilization building game with a deep economy about human history

Started by
6 comments, last by beniamin.h 3 years, 4 months ago

Hi girls and guys,
I'm currently developing a strategy civilization building game with a historical context about entire human history since the Stone Age to the Space Race.

Here is a 100% functional and enjoyable (hopefully) demo - without installation, play in your browser, PC recommended:

https://beniamin666.github.io/stone2rocket-game/?gamedevnet

Recently I focused on economy - there are 44 different resources and 82 unique buildings (till the Copper Age). The final version will include more than 250 different resources and about 500 distinct buildings. I'm going to add much more content and different mechanics, but first - I need to know what do you think about it already.

Is the gameplay fun? Do you think it's worth developing this further?

I'm going to launch a campaign on kickstarter, but I'm not sure if anyone is interested in war strategy games with a complex economic system these days.

Just to be clear - it's not an idle game - if you play it clever no idling is needed. And there are no ads, micro-transactions or similar stuff - just a classic strategy.

Any suggestions / critique / comments are really appreciated (:

Advertisement

Hi,

I tried it, but I got confused quite quickly as it wasn't clear what the game play elements were. Examples:

1. I click on food collector and there's no obvious visible feedback that I'm now about to place anything - i.e. the cursor doesn't update
  2. When trying to build something - a visual representation of what I'm missing - i.e. I wanted to build something and I had to wait to work out what I was missing, some graphical representation of the dependencies would be good
  3. It's not clear whether the location of items on the grid is relevant or not
  4. When I've got a game, whether or not I can build a food collector is flashing slowly, so trying to add one is almost impossible which makes me want to rage quit.

Also, it wasn't clear that the key to success seems to be upgrading the individual units - which seems disproportionately powered compared to building new instances

Hello @Steven Ford,

I'm really grateful for your feedback. I'm definitely going to fix this. Thank you (:

I've made some improvements to User Interface and other game's parts. You can check them at the same link:

https://beniamin666.github.io/stone2rocket-game/?gamedevnet

Hi Ben,

apologies for the delay in getting back to this.

My thoughts:

• It's better - although on playing it again, I was trying to work out how to get more workforce, it took me a while to realise that it should be by clicking on the players and then seeing the side menu. For me personally, I prefer the ‘tool tip’ approach of it appearing close to the unit rather than to the right
  • I've built a few buildings and now I'm finding that the ‘select building to continue’ is flashing (approx once per second), presumably this is because my workforce is going from -4 to 2 each cycle, but it's not clear why
  • Looking at this, I then discovered that I could click on the food collector I had and upgrade it, but this wasn't clear (or at least, it didn't jump out at me)
  • I'm finding that the upgrade costs being exponential seems a little excessive

I guess one thing confuses me, I see the section on the left and I think that where I place items makes a difference, but I don't think that it does, it's just a question of the number of buildings that I have and what level they are so there should probably be a different way of displaying the game objects. Or to be more explicit, I see it visually as a Warcraft style RTS, but gameplay is anything but that

Hope this helps

Steve

Thank you Steve,

There is ‘How to play’ button on the right, which I hoped explain the gameplay, but it seems that I need to improve it. I will work on the game in the future and I will let you know about any improvements made.

Thank you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement