🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

(might) Need help at new project

Started by
7 comments, last by ddlox 3 years, 7 months ago

Hello, everybody. I'm a beginner C++ programmer and i've been idealizing on a new project: a “triple A” game engine that can be supported on low-end PC's. I don't know, it might be stupid at first but once i REALLY master proggramming, here's what i wanna do:

• Maps based on Binary Space Partitioning, along with procedurally generated content.
  • Textures with bumpmaps that make them look 3D when lighted by a lighting source.
  • Shaders and pixel-based rasterizing techniques that subdivide low poly characters into high poly without taking too much memory.
  • Overall viewmodels that are actually high quality 2D sprites (with bumpmaps) that get compressed depending on which system the game is running on.
  • MIDI files for soundtrack.
Advertisement

Master, your post has been moved to Hobby Projects Classifieds. Team member recruiting is not permitted in the discussion forums. Good luck with your project, if/when you start it!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

And there is Unreal Engine 4 for free, which does all what you mentioned and muuuuuch more, including documentation, learning aides, videos, content free and paid, community, …..

@Vollkrasser I agree that the Unreal Engine is a good tool to make incredible games, but the app itself needs many gigabytes of space on a drive to be installed. What i wanna do is an FPS tool that can run smoothly on ANY device and can create something realistic and playable with only a few dozens of megabytes, pretty much like the game Kkrieger.

Game dev needs large screens with high resolutions….monitors, TV screens acting as monitors. all devices that support such large displays have enough drive space, even laptops. no one will develop a FPS on a mobile phone or a watch. lol. so which devices do you have in mind for youre project??

also the Textures and other content/assets require many MB and usually GB of space, so you require that space anyway.

@Vollkrasser I pretend to port this engine for Windows XP and above.

so PC pltaform, those could run UEd since when…2001? since forever !

No one needs an dev app because it requires only a few dozens of megabytes. i develop in UE4 and i have 128 GB RAM, because some of my projects require 50 GB+ from the 2d+ 3d assets alone. Also my RTX2080Ti is working hard. But I never had any issues because of the Engine's HD requirements, actually i have several different versions of it installed, maybe 10-20 GB each, but it does not matter, as we have cheap TB harddrives and even SSDs in the TB range today.

welcome to 2020!

?

MasterVSB12 said:
pretty much like the game Kkrieger.

are you going through a moment of nostalagia maybe … and errm… probably meant to say “emulator” somewhere in your query?…

(just answer ‘yes’ and Vollkrasser will be your friend again -lol-)

of course you're entitled to ask, but u see this seems to be a project that might take a developer back a bit just for the sake of “size praise”… u see many new engines run on various platforms, with most of those techs u have spelled out as well, u can even deploy today's games with all sorts of data compression etc…i'm sure u know of course (obviously not as small as Kkrieger's 100KB), but the point in making games is not about making technological praises, it may seem that way but primarily, it's about producing something that contributes to someone's definition of fun or entertainment and if there's a technological barrier in making this "something" using todays tech then we break through it and praise the innovation.

if this project is your definition of having fun then i stand corrected already; but from the get-go it doesn't seem that way…

anyway, have fun ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement