🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DX7 or DX8??

Started by
0 comments, last by burgc002 22 years, 6 months ago
I have Game Programming for Dummies,Tricks,Zen of D3D8,Game Programming with DX7.....heh you figure I would know something by now..anyway, I have played around with ddraw and feel comfortable with it and I am ready to make that all important tetris clone but,the question is should I stay with dx7 or go with dx8, like I said I have Zen of D3D if that is what I should do and who doesnt want to eventually make 3d games? So basically I guess I am just confused as hell on what I should do. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
I had the same dilema. I decided to start with DX7 as the 2D stuff is much easier to learn than with DX8. Then I plan to learn DX8 and see how to do the 2D part there. If you want to jump directly into DX8, there are good tutorials over at Flip Code on how to do 2D graphics in DX8.

---
Make it work.
Make it right.
Make it fast.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement