🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to find job as a junior 2d game artist?

Started by
12 comments, last by GeneralJist 3 years, 8 months ago

hello everyone! Have a problem with a job as a game artist. what i need to do and add there to find a job? i have many character portraits, especially monsters and animals \ anthro animals, sketches and landscapes? i need add some more of specific game designs in casual style or what?

Ab igne ignem

Advertisement

To get a job as an artist, you need an art degree, a great portfolio, and you should live within commuting distance of the hiring company. Yes, people are mostly working from home at present, but the pandemic will end at some point and when that happens, you will need to be near the company's office.

So that's 3 things you need. Do you have all 3?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Can you please post some of your portfolio into this thread?

@undefined Yup. I have an art degree.

i mean, maybe i should add some works in casual art style? It most popular now. But why game companies can’t give test to try in their style before decline. Sometimes its like as they didnt watch portfolio

Ab igne ignem

@undefined https://flameborn.artstation.com/
thats my gallery

Ab igne ignem

Holy cow, that's some good art!

P.S. try to find a small band of coders to work with, juniors of course.

@taby what did you use? c# python? it is a unity engine? :D

Ab igne ignem

I use OpenGL 4 and C++. I wrote my own engine, if you can call it that. I will later be using the Windows API to do the window handling, but for now I use GLUT.

My next game will be using Unity and C#.

Flameborn said:
i have many character portraits, especially monsters and animals \ anthro animals, sketches and landscapes? i need add some more of specific game designs in casual style or what? … https://flameborn.artstation.com/

The portfolio shows that you can draw, and that's good. But it has almost no variety.

Nearly every image is of a feline, with a few other species thrown in. Nearly every image is a creature facing to the viewer's left or looking straight to the viewer.

That's great if the studio is seeking people who draw cats facing forward and cats facing to the left. If the studio needs anything else — and they almost certainly will — you have none of it in the portfolio.

Studios do need character concept art, and you seem to be good at it, but they need a much wider variety. Consider putting in a variety of creatures, from pixies and butterflies, ogres, humans, horses, birds, up through giants and dragons. Include some non-character elements, because characters need to use things, to fill up the world they live in. Have the creatures do a variety of things, from fairies conjuring dew to place on a spider web, to birds tending an egg or fighting over worms, to ogres in battle, to dragons hoarding their treasures or fighting adventurers. It doesn't particularly matter what the variety is, only that you have some.

And while game studios do use character concept art, it is a small niche in the large world of games. Concept work is often a quick contract job rather than stable full-time employment. The more additional things you can do, the more stable your career will be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement