🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A new type of development group

Started by
0 comments, last by Launcher111 4 years ago

I want to be apart of a higher intelligence game building group? What I mean by that isn't meant to be insulting, but games for the most part are dumbed down really bad. Rock, paper scissors, type games. I'm good with the knight era, colonial era, and space eras.

The idea would be use research, history, science and the rest to build the game. As opposed to +3 magic cannon balls, make a bigger cannon. Instead of having archers, swords and spears, throw in lances, javelins, kite shields, tower shields, long bows, cross bows, pikes, maces, flails, clubs, long spears, tridents, than increase from no armor to full plate steel armor. The belief you need to add magic? Well if you read the history they made incendiary devices, they made poisoned weapons, and containers, they would set arrows on fire, use pitch to set fields on fire.

You have the colonial era which is dumbed way down, into a ship with an avatar using magic weapons in many cases. The actual history is far more entertaining which is lost on game. Blackbeard once raided Charleston south carolina for medications for vanarial diseases. Black bart roberts sneak attacked a man of war at night, boarded it, hung a governor and left aboard their own ship. He looted 96 ships? Not including towns that he pillaged or burned to the ground.

The idea that the game has some realism, that the player can put themselves in that world, if you look at successful games, that is where the money is, gta, cyberpunk, star citizen, the sims, battle front. They attempt to have a person feel as if they are in the game, that it has enough real aspects for it to be almost a substitute for life. That is were the real money is and the future of gaming, you will have a break through now and then, however will it be the next gta? Of course not. People desire something new, with more content, to further this end researchers, historians, scientists, theorists, physicists should be apart of adding content to games, an example in China their are roughly 7,000 medicinal items, from plants, mushrooms, and animals. In video games you have the typical list. Now imagine you had someone look through these 7,000 some are probably silly, some will prove to be odd and never considered before. Things like better jumping ability, or better night vision. Lets say they are added to the game, the next question were does this plant or animal live? What is Its natural habitat? You find out it's made from a flower that blooms for a week in june each year. All of the sudden people look for something they can't find, because it doesn't yet exist. Elder scrolls attempted this some what, but made stuff up as they went along.

The concept of Kiss and rock paper scissors has proven to be false concepts, if you want major success, long term. I believe the correlation between detail and success have become inseparable.

I would like to take on one of these roles, possibly some writing, story, character development. Another area is a geologist, most games could benefit from that, or high level medical knowledge.

If you have a fun project in mind, with nontraditional and obscene characters, probably save time and message me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement