🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A few questions regarding developing Oculus Quest games with Unity

Started by
2 comments, last by EBZ 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm new to VR development just ordered a Quest and had a few questions:

1. What tools would you all recommend if I'm developing with Unity? So far I found a tutorial that uses the Oculus Integration package from the Asset store, and the Unity native XR package.

Btw, I read VRTK was not recommended and Unity's native XR package is better?

2. Is it possible to find motion capture programs that work with the Quest? Or something that can record animations of some parts of my body. So far I found Glycon3D.

3. Out of curiosity, if I had access to a very large indoor space with good light, would I be able to walk that space in my virtual world? I read you could bypass that guardian fence thingy I see in videos, that's why I'm asking.

4. Can I preview my games on my Quest from the Unity Editor if I buy the $80 link cable? I'm aware that without it I'd have to transfer the APK to the device like I would with a normal android game.

Thanks! Hope I made sense.

Advertisement

We're developing VR as professionals, so we're also using the Oculus SDK from the Asset Store and the XR Plugin from the package manager. Also you need the newest Android SDK and adb to push your game to the Quest as it is an Android device.

Any motion capture should work with the Quest, it depends on your animation system how well animations work for your player. We have a whole department of ~10 people that maintain and improve our animation integration for VR.

The guardian is there because you are limited in space and sometimes cable, you should not bypass it. However, you can configure the size of your area as you like and there are games that require a large space to be present in VR. Mostly local multiplayer games made especially for Quest.

With the newest update, Quest is capable to be connected to the PC with the cable that is shipped with it, so you don't need to buy an extra cable anymore. The Unity Editor is able to use the driver to stream also on any VR device that is attached to it in play mode, so you can test your game in editor while using the quest. However, you still need to push your APK to the Quest if you want to run a standalone build on the Quest without being connected to the PC. This is important because Quest has different performance specs than a Rift for example so you should test your game also on the device in standalone mode. You can push APKs either via cable or Wifi, this is up to you but be aware that you need to split your game into several asset packages if it exceeds the APK limit

Shaarigan said:

We're developing VR as professionals, so we're also using the Oculus SDK from the Asset Store and the XR Plugin from the package manager. Also you need the newest Android SDK and adb to push your game to the Quest as it is an Android device.

Any motion capture should work with the Quest, it depends on your animation system how well animations work for your player. We have a whole department of ~10 people that maintain and improve our animation integration for VR.

The guardian is there because you are limited in space and sometimes cable, you should not bypass it. However, you can configure the size of your area as you like and there are games that require a large space to be present in VR. Mostly local multiplayer games made especially for Quest.

With the newest update, Quest is capable to be connected to the PC with the cable that is shipped with it, so you don't need to buy an extra cable anymore. The Unity Editor is able to use the driver to stream also on any VR device that is attached to it in play mode, so you can test your game in editor while using the quest. However, you still need to push your APK to the Quest if you want to run a standalone build on the Quest without being connected to the PC. This is important because Quest has different performance specs than a Rift for example so you should test your game also on the device in standalone mode. You can push APKs either via cable or Wifi, this is up to you but be aware that you need to split your game into several asset packages if it exceeds the APK limit

Thank you very much for the reply. Very detailed, I'm pretty excited about developing with the Quest. Should arrive soon. Thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement