🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Free Game Engine for Real Time Collaboration

Started by
8 comments, last by JM-KinematicSoup 4 years, 2 months ago

Hi!

I'm looking for a recommendation on a game engine that I can use to work with a friend in real time. I've tried Unity already and can't seem to get Unity Teams to work with my friend. If it matters, we're looking to make a digital card game (similar to Hearthstone, Shadowverse, or Legends of Runeterra). Any help would be useful!

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

It is very unlikely that you'll find such an engine or it isn't free. Those free to use/ free for private use engines are designed to be used in a large team to make large games (because these developers make the major part of the engine companie's fees) and you simply don't want to synchronize 100 people to the same data in realtime. The network traffic would be overkill for a company network.

Instead you are working on your own and synchronize your work using Git, SVN or Perforce by continously doing updates by your own and push changes to the repository if you are done with one of your tasks.

However, as Godot and Urho3D are open source, you might want to add such a feature on your own instead

Godot with TeamViewer would work. Do you plan on being able to see oneanothers work all the time?

SuperVGA said:

see oneanothers work all the time?

Can you please elaborate?

Shaarigan said:
Instead you are working on your own and synchronize your work using Git, SVN or Perforce by continously doing updates by your own and push changes to the repository if you are done with one of your tasks.

I'm only familiar with git. Where does mercurial fall in between git, svn and perforce?

Never used Mercurial, sorry

@ShxdowRaven Check out playcanvas. I never got serious with it, but it was fun messing around with a friend.

https://playcanvas.com/

ShxdowRaven said:

SuperVGA said:

see oneanothers work all the time?

Can you please elaborate?

By “Do you plan on being able to see oneanothers work all the time?” I meant

is there a need (do you require), that
the team members can see the work progressing from their team members in real-time
all the time?

(Or will they be doing their own thing on the project some/most of the time)

We have been working on something that brings real-time collaboration for level design in Unity and Unreal - it's called Scene Fusion.

Project and code syncing is much harder to get right in real-time, and code syncing in real-time is problematic because one user frequently unwanted inject side-effects into other users' work. If you've ever spent a few hours debugging an obscure code bug, setting breakpoints and tracing deeper into a codebase to find the cause, you'll know what I mean. Some assets can be synced in real-time, others less so. However, level design is definitely effective when done collaboratively.

Working on Scene Fusion - real-time collaboration for Unity3D (and other engines soon!)

Check it out here!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement