🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Just wanted to ask a few questions

Started by
2 comments, last by NoobAtThis 4 years, 4 months ago

So for a long time I've wanted to work as a storyboard director for a game company. I mostly want to write the plot and figure out settings and characters and stuff like that. I might get a little bit into the coding side but I only want to know enough to where I'm useful in other areas. So if I wanted to get into a job like this, how would I get an interview with someone like this. By the way I'm only 15 so nothing too crazy. Nothing like flying out to California to get an interview. It has to be something online or something in Memphis.

Advertisement

Hello, NoobAtThis! If you want to do storyboards, you need to get an art degree after you graduate high school. And you will need to move to a city where there are multiple game development companies. To be clear, you want to apply to a company that makes games. (The big famous publishers don't necessarily do development internally.) Since you're curious about job opps in development, check out Wikipedia's “List of Video Game Developers.” (Note that there are no dev companies listed for Memphis on Wikipedia, but there are one or two listed on gamedevmap.) But storyboarding is not a common full-time job, so you need to have other art talents you can fall back on for those times when storyboards are not needed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well thanks for the help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement