🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

game on blockchain?

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to develop a game on blockchain already?

I am also interested in your experience in developing on blockchain. What were the hardships, what surprised you etc?

Advertisement

I thought computation blows up the data usage of the chain. To keep the CO2 production at bay only premined blockchain and only large money transaction should be processed.

I still need an explaination for the blockchain. I know online banking. I know ERP. I know crypto. Signatures. Hashes. I know Peer-to-Peer networks like Napster. I know Web-of-trust like in PGP. I know tree of trust like in TLS certificates.

I know democracy.

So block chain is when you copy the ledger (from ERP) to multiple people and for each transaction majority decision? Do you trust unknown people? How do I know that the virtual people are not really controlled by a bot-net? Wouldn't it be better to work with a real bank?

Like this: https://www.larvalabs.com/cryptopunks

Okay, ah apparently there is something to it:

hhttps://www.castlecrypto.gg/ethereum-games/

Ah, I see, each game has its own BlockChain: https://hackernoon.com/5-blockchain-games-that-you-need-to-know-about-lbu36gt

I is about ownership of your in-app purchases?! So you have to trade it? What about I own the game in the first place? What about FOSS?

arnero said:
I still need an explaination for the blockchain

Blockchain is simply a history of data, no more no less. You don't need any complex crypto algorithms to create a blockchain, just create a data chunk, hash it, add the hash to the next data chunk and so on until you have enougth data chunks that creating new ones takes less time than manipulation of the existing ones. That is the basic principle of the blockchain.

Anything else, kept it simple to not blow this topic, is up to the property management, What is an unwindeable history af data good for, you can very property. What kind of property dosen't matter as long as it can be identifed uniquely where it camed from and who it belongs to.

This is done by some very strong crypto algorythm, ECDSA in the most popular example BitCoin. With this or any other other DSA (digital signing algorythm) it is possible to have your private key and create a public identity that can be verified against some statements made to validate those statements have been made from nobody else.

Back to blockchain, there is a property exchange e.g. some property with unique ID [x] currently owned by Person [A] is transfered to Person [B]. Thats it, plain and simple and approved by the blockchain to not be manipulated over time because those statements ([A] gives [x] to [B]) are hashed within the blocks and those blocks hashes are also hashed into the next block and so on.

The security comes when you are able to verify sanity of previous blocks up to the most recent one or claim all the blocks as corrupted.

arnero said:
Do you trust unknown people?

No you don't, going further, you don't trust anyone in blockchain systems. This is the reason because everything is always validated again and again with every new block to keep those untrusted ones apart from the trusted ones.

arnero said:
How do I know that the virtual people are not really controlled by a bot-net?

Because it dosen't matter. Every participant on a blockchain always computes it's own sanity check and rejects blocks that seem to be corrupted. Always use the official software and verify it's hash code than you are safe to be a participant. If the network gets corrupted, you'll now but in BitCoin for example there is always a race to be the one that verifies and so validates the current block on the top of the blockchain because you are getting some benefits for it. This is also the reason to trust the system because everybody is greedy by default.

arnero said:
Wouldn't it be better to work with a real bank?

No it wont! This is my conclusion after spending some months reading everything about the blockchain, BitCoin and the technology in the background. Without going too offtopic, a bank is a company like every other company, they can get into insolvency, employees can use your money for risky business and give the responsability away for losses, they can be hacked because nobody knows how their software is written and a bank can, like in my country, do whatever it likes to do with it's customers.

As an example, people in my country have to pay at certain banks for the money they saved there, so instead of having the bank use your money for some fees brought back to you in the end, they keep the fees they earn and instead also take even more from you. Is this fair? No! Can we do anything? No, partialy not because if you move to another bank, that bank can behave the same way after some time and what will you do then?

As I got to know a few months ago, all payments of the world are verified by a single company. A bank sends requests to that company, the company does all the bookkeeping for all the other banks and then gives certain response. So in fact all the power of a data history (here we go, blockchain) in the hands of one single company. However, long story short, that company got hacked and money was "created" that never existed to the hand sof the hackers. No noticeable damage in the first place you would think right now but we all pay for it because if more money exists (even if it is virtual money) all of our money gets less worth.

So finally, in my opinion, I would be happy to have something like BitCoin (in a technically more reasonable way) that allows me to have control over my own money without the fear to lose everything just because someone in a bank did it's job wrong. We can get into this deeper if you like in PM or on another topic.

arnero said:
I is about ownership of your in-app purchases?! So you have to trade it? What about I own the game in the first place?

I think this is different. One can save the user account in the blockchain for games like WoW this works well so for trades for example you can verify that the person owns that much money or the item you want to get in beforehand or you have platforms like Steam that will proof ownership of a license via blockchain (I thought there is already something like this in development). You as developer will then register a certain amount of copies on the blockchain as initial property and those licenses are then given to someone else (as I explained above: property exchange) or have some rare item in your game that is owned by the game and later given to a player and then traded for (in.game) money. Everything is possible

I guess that no reason to integrate blockchain in the game industry..

Please don't necro long-dormant threads.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement