🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to do croud sounds

Started by
4 comments, last by Pyromarsh 4 years, 6 months ago

I posted this in the audio forum but realized it's the wrong forum for that so I repost here.

My project is real time strategy game where you control up to thousands of stick figure soldiers, and they fight. My first implementation of sounds was to simply assign sounds to different actions in the game. A soldier attacks, makes attack sound. A soldier walks, makes walk sound.

Problem is, with thousands of soldiers, it's like a brain hammering simulation. When a thousand shoot their gun, imagine the sound of a gun, multiplied 1000. it gets loud and buggy. And it sounds wrong because 1000 people walking doesn't sound like 1 times 1000.

So my question is, how do you implement croud sounds? How do you mix 1000 flat sounds in a 3d space to make it sound good? Does that exist, or should I just use pre-recorded crowd sounds?

Advertisement

There are few ways to tackle this:

1 - create an ambient bed of sounds into one audio file that can fool the player into thinking a huge battle is happening but you can control it better.

2 - create a voice limit parameter - so you can only have a few instances of that exact sound call happening at the same time.

3 - use a cool down parameter so you cannot have "machine gun" instances of that sound call one after another.

4 - implement some round robin so each sound call can use a different sound sample and even add in slight volume and pitch variance per each call.

Doing a few or all of these will GREALY help your situation.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

One add on to 1st point - this is just a wall paper or foundation for which you could layer actual synced up game sound calls on top of.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

for walking you should play one one sound, whenever something is walking and its has the same soumd as other 1000 objects you do if (walking)if (!walkingsound_is_playing) play.walksnd();

I've always wondered how that worked

Pyromarsh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement