🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good online University for Gameplay Programmers?

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey there!

I was wondering what course would be best if I want to be a Gameplay programmer? And after that if there are any well known online courses available for that? The cheaper the better I suppose. I went to the SAE Institute in Germany and got my "Game programmer Diploma" there but I don't see that helping me in any way to get a Job in the field.

If this is a bit to broad of a question let me know so I can add more to it!

Thanks!

Advertisement

It seems like you're less interested in learning the material and more interested in getting past HR filters.

The job requirements depend on the location. In some regions, being self-taught and demonstrating competency is enough. In other regions a degree from a major school is required for your application to be reviewed. I don't know specifics for Germany, but I know in general the nation prefers more formal programs.

In many countries the typical entry path includes a four year degree in computer science. The only shortcut to that is taking tests at the school to take fewer classes for the degree.  Most people I know (including myself) who tested out of classes still spent four years studying, but replaced the simpler courses with advanced topics they preferred.

Look at job listings in the area. They often list what they require and what they prefer. Those can be your guides to getting past HR filters.

Also remember that you don't exist in a vacuum. You are competing against other applicants.  If one person has a certificate from an online school and other people have traditional degrees, you can imagine who will be contacted first.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement