🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Unreal Editor 4.23.1 Crashes after play test, what should i do?

Started by
5 comments, last by Harry Loretz 4 years, 7 months ago

Hey everyone, i appreciate all the help i can get.

as the title says, Unreal Editor 4.23.1 Crashes after play test, what should i do? 

should i just reinstall the engine? 
Is it my graphics card OC?

Graphics card Driver update?

Use a different build of the engine?

I just am unsure what to do here, i'm an intermediate C++Unreal coder.

Advertisement

When it crashes your best two options are first to catch the crash in a debugger (which stops execution precisely at the crash) and second best to capture a crash dump (which is similar but with somewhat less hardware information).

Without that, you can look at the logs and hope to find something.

There are a tremendous number of things it could be.  You mention graphics a few times, sure there could be some issues there, possibly with unloading a resource, maybe data being unloaded twice.  Or it could be something to do with physics, I've seen corrupt objects cause difficulty and corruption when the object is unloaded. Or it could be something with serialization or deserialization. Or it could be countless other things which we can guess and speculate about, but still be no closer to truth.

Unreal includes the source code. If you're using the releases from Epic directly they have the symbol files for the official builds available through the Launcher. If you built the engine locally, use a Development build and attach a debugger. The debugger is likely where you will find your answers.

11 hours ago, frob said:

When it crashes your best two options are first to catch the crash in a debugger (which stops execution precisely at the crash) and second best to capture a crash dump (which is similar but with somewhat less hardware information).

Without that, you can look at the logs and hope to find something.

There are a tremendous number of things it could be.  You mention graphics a few times, sure there could be some issues there, possibly with unloading a resource, maybe data being unloaded twice.  Or it could be something to do with physics, I've seen corrupt objects cause difficulty and corruption when the object is unloaded. Or it could be something with serialization or deserialization. Or it could be countless other things which we can guess and speculate about, but still be no closer to truth.

Unreal includes the source code. If you're using the releases from Epic directly they have the symbol files for the official builds available through the Launcher. If you built the engine locally, use a Development build and attach a debugger. The debugger is likely where you will find your answers.

Thankyou for your reply Frob, Turns out i needed to have one of the SDK builds in Visual assist, so i reinstalled it and included all the windows SDK's. This is what fixed it, and you were right the problem was stated within the debugger.

On 11/17/2019 at 6:59 AM, frob said:

There are a tremendous number of things it could be. 

Hey frob, i started having the issue again i even updated my bios. I think the issue is that my player controller and gamemode aren't set up correctly. I have to test some more, i am finding 4.23.1 to be really annoying the debugger is saying that some dll files and other files are missing now and almost no mention of these files on the internet.

Sounds rough. I don't see a question there, or anything to even guess what you're trying to ask.

You might want to read this, do some more research, then try again.

10 hours ago, frob said:

Sounds rough. I don't see a question there, or anything to even guess what you're trying to ask.

You might want to read this, do some more research, then try again.

Hey frob, I wasn't really asking a question before. Thanks for your replies though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement