🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need Feedback on Portfolio?

Started by
7 comments, last by Adam Weesner 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm currently deciding what to add or remove from my online portfolio. I set up a website and all that, and I'm looking to break into the games industry. I would appreciate if anyone were to give feedback on how my portfolio looks. Do I need to add more description or examples?

https://www.adamweesner.com/portfolio

Thanks in advanced!

"Our only boundaries are those we create."

Advertisement

The site is visually busy.  I certainly wouldn't call you back if you were applying for a job as a graphics designer.

It tells me enough relevant information, and would help if the interviewer actually opens it up before the interview. Few will do that.

I'm wondering if the buttons to go to each game's page is obvious enough. Should I create a piece of text that reads "Click the image below to learn more", or something like that?

I'd make the title area and the contributions labels links as well.

If you're looking for visual changes, the labels for what you used has color changing backgrounds and change the mouse cursor, yet do nothing. I thought they were links. You've got an overuse of fonts, colors, and visual styles that screams of amateur design, but since you're applying as a programmer it doesn't hurt TOO badly, and it's better than the opposite problem of a flat text page.

I would put something more neutral or game related background.
I also find the overaul look to much modern 1990 website.
Something less agressive in the choice of themes and colours.
For example:
https://jogamp.org/

Also would improve the CV.
Sugestion:
https://github.com/g-amador/Awesome-CV

Portfolio
* The header is annoying because it has no reason to follow the reader on such a short page. Just feels like my screen became smaller, which is especially bad when zooming in on an image using a phone. The black fade below the top is too long, making it hard to focus on the content.
* Dawn unto dusk has the right color theme on the background with a single hue, but the text has a red letter causing a bad 120 degree color combination between red and green. Hue should be matched in angles of 90 or 180 degrees if you use multiple colors. The title also doesn't follow the rule of thirds, making it look misplaced.
* The clouds behind randomly colored text makes it look like you haven't taken courses in neither Design nor Human Computer Interaction.
* The CrossWorld cover has under-sampled pixels, border overlaps without edges and non-matching colors. Cartoon styles shouldn't let different colors collide without a black border unless they match.
* The crown in Island Wars break the hard black and white theme and looks like unrelated clip art with the drop shadows.
* Let's go putt putt, has a noisy background with a clearly visible texture seam. There's no theme explaining red and yellow opaque diamonds on the field.

Contributions
It's good to show that you can work with other people, but show something you made alone. Just some concept art, game assets in context or a small but good looking game you made yourself.

Career
If your goal is to get hired for anything above hobby projects in Unity, you shouldn't be making a portfolio right now. Study the design rules, take some art classes, reach your full potential, find your own style, practice copying styles, make new artwork, create a clean site from scratch without the clutter. The competition is insane, so count on being one of 800 applicants with little chance of someone reading your CV. In the worst case, you'll be churned and replaced. In the best case, you'll have fun with friends in a small company barely paying rent.

17 minutes ago, Dawoodoz said:

If your goal is to get hired for anything above hobby projects in Unity, you shouldn't be making a portfolio right now. Study the design rules, take some art classes, reach your full potential, find your own style, practice copying styles, make new artwork

I don't think any of that is relevant if he's trying to get employed as a game programmer.

I do appreciate the advice from the art perspective. Taking great care in how a website looks to an employer it great for first impressions and professionalism. I'll try to follow your critique as best I can, thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement