pixel artist for open source game engine wanted

Started by
0 comments, last by Thomas J. Webb 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm working on an open source (MIT) game engine (nixie) that I'm eventually going to use to make my 2D top-down RPG. It successfully loads maps, lets you walk around but the collision detection needs work. But what's getting in the way is I don't have good assets for the features I'm adding right now. What I want if anyone's willing to work on it are assets that help me test all the features, whether you made it or found it or a little of both. The idea is basically to fully support maps made in tiled (but just focusing on square tiles, not isometric at first), plus some extensions, like parallax scrolling of backgrounds.

I've been using off-the-shelf cc tilesets but there's no one set of assets that showcases all the features I want in the demo and has consistent licensing. What I basically need is a set of tiles that has:

• 2 character spritesheets (1 player, 1 npc)
  • Background spritesheet
  • 1 background to test parallax effect (could be a little bigger than screen size, could be a lot smaller if you only see it when you go to one corner of the map)
  • 1 screen-sized background for dialog screen
  • 2 large-size torsos representing the two characters, plus at least one alternate facial expression (that I could swap out by overlaying a few tiles). Think the look of dialog in the Fire Emblem games or visual novels.
  • 1 tiled map to test this although I could make this too

And it should all:

• Be low resolution (so I'm not clogging up the git repo with binary blobs), maybe with 320x200 screen in mind and 16x16 tiles.
  • All be in a consistent style. Maybe this is achievable by piecing together already existing assets but I often find that they clash.
  • All have a consistent license, preferably more liberal. The code and the assets won't be released under the same terms anyway but I definitely don't want to make things confusing for people by having different assets under different licenses and that's one big thing that's gotten in the way of me mixing & matching.

The name of the engine is nixie so if one of the characters was a nixie (water sprite) that would also be super awesome. But I'm open to other thematic possibilities for this demo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement