🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Education for someone who wants specialize in physics programming

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 years, 9 months ago

I currently work at a business that makes vehicle simulators. I've only been here for a few months and found that there is only one person here who knows the physics side of things. I am fascinated by physics, especially in video games and how to translate it into code, etc. I currently have a BS in Game Development and Programming. I want to get my MS but I'm curious about the educated opinions of people with more experience than myself on what educational path would benefit me most. Now I know this is opening a can of worms as many people feel education in this field isn't really necessary, or many will have various different opinions, so I of course will take all responses with a grain of salt, but I am interested in hearing everyone out. I am mostly looking at an MS in Computer Science, or some sort of physics related degree (This is the area I get a little fuzzy on because it seems to branch out a lot and I'm not sure what would be most valid for what I'm looking to learn.) Or maybe it's not really necessary for me to get my MS in any of this stuff. I've been a professional programmer for about 2 years, and working on this simulator stuff for only about 6 months, so I am still fairly new to it, but if I'm going to go back to school I would like to do it sooner rather than later. Thanks for any input!

Advertisement
3 hours ago, ethancodes said:

or some sort of physics related degree (This is the area I get a little fuzzy on because it seems to branch out a lot and I'm not sure what would be most valid for what I'm looking to learn.)

I suppose most game physics involve gravity, leverage, materials, explosions, and propulsion. You can talk to your degree advisor about creating a special "Physics for Games" degree, or take a minor in Physics while working on your CS Masters.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

4 hours ago, ethancodes said:

I've only been here for a few months and found that there is only one person here who knows the physics side of things.

Most people love to talk about themselves and how they got to where they are. Maybe introduce yourself as having an interest in physics.

I'm pretty sure it involves lots of advanced calculus.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

@fleabay I have actually worked fairly closely with this guy and have made it known to him and my bosses that that is the path I want to specialize in, however I would still like to pursue further education, especially if I can get work to pay for it. But it may come to me not really needing it if this guy can mentor me or something. I'm kind of looking at all of my options I guess.

Hi there,

if you are interested in simulating physics, maybe you should have a look at numerical simulation methods, namely the finite-element method (FEM), material point methods, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) etc. They are already used by (some/a lot? of) games.

But be warned, this field is quite challenging.

Greetings

5 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

I suppose most game physics involve gravity, leverage, materials, explosions, and propulsion.

I forgot to mention acceleration/deceleration, and the way tires interact with various surfaces. And the physics of flight (airfoils, rigid wings versus flapping wings).  All depending, of course, on what kind of games you might work on.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement