🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Transition from Software engineer to game developer

Started by
3 comments, last by ziplock9000 4 years, 10 months ago
Hi Everyone!

I've been working as a software engineer for 3.5 years so far, mostly web apps, mobile apps, web pages in banking systems, educational, etc but I always wanted to work as a game developer.

Currently I have a university degree in CS, and I'm attending a masters degree in Apps design.

I've very little experience in game dev (only for hobby), some space shooters and some steps in unity, also I took some courses of blender, and did some simple sprites (those 8 bit characters but animate them is a big problem for me atm.) but I've never gone too far.

I know I cannot focus on all aspects of game development, because it is a huge world integrated with different disciplines, but I need to make a portfolio with some of my games at least. (I only have partial prototypes, some of them work, some don't...)

I need some advise of people who are in the game business.

• Which platform/framework do you recommend for me ? I already know a bit of Unity and I feel pretty comfortable with it. I can get some assets to work with (models/audio, etc), there are some free material in the store, and I have budget to spend on that too if necessary.

• How do game companies hire people? What am I suppose to aim for a job? I mean this is a world full of disciplines and I need to focus in something particular I guess, I'm a senior frontend developer too, so I guess I should focus on coding. I think portfolio is the best way of showing your work.

Any suggestions are welcome! thanks!

Advertisement

For Gameplay/UI/AI/Server/Tools you need only Linear Algebra and sone Сomputational Geometry. If you good and fluent in CS, you can apply for any position. Exclude Render, and maybe Engine. Take a look at 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development. Or you can fork on github Doom source, or Penumbra source. And get game resources on Steam. This is game code looks like. Most of companies are looking for generalists all the time.

11 hours ago, Mauro Alvarez said:

Which platform/framework do you recommend for me ? I already know a bit of Unity and I feel pretty comfortable with it. I can get some assets to work with (models/audio, etc), there are some free material in the store, and I have budget to spend on that too if necessary.

It depends on a lot of things. If you live in an area where there are mobile game developers but not console game developers, then you should focus on mobile.

How do game companies hire people?

The same way other companies hire people. The hiring process is the same as what you went through before.

What am I suppose to aim for a job?

Something you are good at and want to do. 

I'm a senior frontend developer

Well, there you go, then! Frontend. 

I hope you live near some game companies. See gamedevmap.com (find companies near you) and read http://sloperama.com/advice/m84.htm (the importance of location) and http://sloperama.com/advice/jobapp.htm (how to apply for a game job) and http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson41.htm (switching into games)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Just remember many game developers are *still* Software Engineers like me.

"Go bone a model!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement