🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Camera rotating automatically vs manually

Started by
2 comments, last by Nazar22 4 years, 10 months ago

Hi, everybody. Interested in your opinion.

3D game. View on the player character from the top under the back. Genre = walker puzzle type Machinarium-like but in 3d.

When the character moves (in any direction on the playing field), the camera: 
1. can always look in the back and turn behind the character, then the character will always be visible only from the back 
2. can only move up/down relatively to players position, but not turning, then the character will be seen from all sides. in this case the camera can be rotated manually with the mouse cursor, swipe (on mobile devices), the keys on the joystick (for consoles and Nintendo switch)

Which option of 2 is preferable? Maybe there's another option.

screenshot_2019-08-04_at_20_05_10.png

Advertisement

My favourite way is the one used by Mass Effect, and also The Witcher 3. I find the camera intuitive and easy to use in the middle of the fight for both ranged or close quarter combats. So, I guess that I prefer choice 2.

44 minutes ago, rogerdv said:

My favourite way is the one used by Mass Effect, and also The Witcher 3. I find the camera intuitive and easy to use in the middle of the fight for both ranged or close quarter combats. So, I guess that I prefer choice 2.

Maybe for Mass Effect and Th Witcher 3 camera you’ve described looks and feels good because of the gameplay. But my game looks more like Oceahorn or Sky or Xenowerk for iOS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement