🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to start to learn how to create games?

Started by
14 comments, last by 8Observer8 4 years, 3 months ago

@Green_Baron I'm looking for information to start in games, this is my first post, and found this post and your answer. You said “…godot script is probably the more future proof version ...”

Could you explain a bit more what do you understand by “more future proof version”?

There are a few games in my head, are strategy games, thought, and another good advise I read here recommended to start even with an Excel, that looks a very good advise too. But what after excel, when graphics are not important yet, the most simplest could works, what? Maybe Godot it's the kind of tool I should check, would you recommend me any other based in my idea? Would you recommend a different approach.

And sorry to abuse other people post :-)

Thanks
Jose

Advertisement

josemv said:

@Green_Baron I'm looking for information to start in games, this is my first post, and found this post and your answer. You said “…godot script is probably the more future proof version ...”

Could you explain a bit more what do you understand by “more future proof version”?

It just means that, in their opinion, a project made with the Godot-specific script (called 'GDScript') is more likely to be supported in the future than a project made with C#. Personally I disagree - but you don't really need to worry about this at all if you're starting out.

Regarding where you should start, all the advice already given applies to you too. Unity is very popular, Unreal Engine and Godot are also reasonable choices, although with fewer users. People with existing skills in certain programming languages may find other tools suitable for their needs.

josemv said:
I read here recommended to start even with an Excel, that looks a very good advise too.

Wow! I did not know that Microsoft Excel (VBA Macros) is used for writing 3D games. It is cool!

First 3D Shooter in Microsoft Excel (VBA Macros)

@Kylotan thanks to reply.

I'll not be a game developer, guessing, more a game thinker/creative guy, thought. I'm a developer myself, but I would like to spend time thinking new games, not developing, what it's the simplest tool to prototype games?

@8Observer8 haha. To me makes sense, for some kind of games.

I could imagine some kind of SimCity in Excel, but with no graphics.

josemv said:
what it's the simplest tool to prototype games?

A lot of tools. Start from simple 2D games. Python is great language for learning programming. You can find a lot of books here: http://inventwithpython.com/

For example, this book is awesome: Program Arcade Games: With Python and Pygame 4th ed. Edition

What do you think to make the Battleship game for two players with sockets on LAN using Python? And card game?

You can start here: Tic-tac-toe multiplayer in pygame

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement