🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Here - Game Artist

Started by
3 comments, last by Glyfik 4 years, 10 months ago

Hello, everyone, I'm currently a 3D Artist just looking for some tips on the internet to get my career on track. I'm in the early stages, so far, and I'm hitting that period of doubt where time and effort seem to become more scarce than ever. Regardless, I've landed a small spot with an indie development group we call "Broken Tutorials LLC," a little joke we play on the university course that brought all eight of us together. I've made some decent models. I have a grasp on geometry, topology, UV's, the fundamentals. I haven't delved too deeply into rigging and animation, though, nor have I made any significant models such as a full-fledged character. I've stuck with environmental design, and it's treated me well so far. But, like all disciplines, the best way forward is the one paved with hardship. 

I've never settled down on a specialization. I'm indecisive. However, if I had to choose my top roles to fulfill, they'd be writer, character artist, environment artist, and level designer.

I want to get some insight from any Character Artists who believe they're far enough out of their beginner phases to share ideas that may help people like me reach a point of comfort in this industry. I realize it's been quite unstable, and I just want to be ready before making a leap of faith.

How have your design workflows evolved since the earlier stages of your career? What does your pipeline look like now? What plans do you make to improve them?

What have people liked about your designs? Game studios? What would you think defines a "professional game artist?"

What methods have you developed to reduce the time it takes to develop prototypes? Do you have a process for inventing concepts? How do you present them to your group, to an audience?

What was most important to you: the modeling/animating software, the creative passion, the video game, something else? What tools do you believe are most integral to your art?

Well, I don't want to load up too many questions right off the bat, but these are things at the top of my mind as of now. If someone could shed some light for me, although I have nothing to give back except gratitude, I would humbly appreciate your time and effort dedicated to this post.

I look forward to being here ☺️

Advertisement

You will getting better in whatever you want to if you get a job as junior in some established company. Be aware of startups and indie studios because they often don't have the time nor money and strict time schedules so you will either swim with the sharks or drown. A middle to big sized studio would fit for a beginner.

this way you can earn some experience from your artist couleges already working in the industry. You can get in touch for professional exchange and however learn from real-world projects.

This is a general tip ?

Hi and welcome! If you haven't already, I'd recommend joining the Polycount community and post you questions there as well. While there are character artists active on this forum, you'll reach more over there.

10 hours ago, Mussi said:

Hi and welcome! If you haven't already, I'd recommend joining the Polycount community and post you questions there as well. While there are character artists active on this forum, you'll reach more over there.

I've always been so daunted by these communities that I never thought to join. Now might be a good time, I suppose. Thank you!

13 hours ago, Shaarigan said:

You will getting better in whatever you want to if you get a job as junior in some established company. Be aware of startups and indie studios because they often don't have the time nor money and strict time schedules so you will either swim with the sharks or drown. A middle to big sized studio would fit for a beginner.

this way you can earn some experience from your artist couleges already working in the industry. You can get in touch for professional exchange and however learn from real-world projects.

This is a general tip ?

Well, I plan on staying with this team at least until our first game releases. Depending on how that goes will determine whether I migrate to another indie company. I wouldn't know where to look, though. Better yet, what I could use to market myself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement