🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My Editor Trick

Started by
4 comments, last by Josheir 5 years ago

Here's a trick I just did that is more appropriate with two monitors.  Download Code Blocks and use it's editor to hold a historic version of any codes as needed with a copy and pace, each tab can be used to hold code for comparing.  Also it has nice settings for changing colors to highlight (red for comments, etc.)  This corrects the problem that Visual Studio 2017 can only run one branch even if two studios are running.  I haven't seen Visual Studio 2019 yet.  There's also a need for disabling the spell checker in the plugin section, and reloading Code Blocks (eliminates red squiggles).

Josheir

Edit: all put this in the beginner's section too.

Advertisement
4 hours ago, Josheir said:

This corrects the problem that Visual Studio 2017 can only run one branch even if two studios are running

cd feature1
git clone -branch feature_branch_1 git://somerepo
devenv project.sln

cd ..\feature2
git clone -branch feature_branch_2 git://somerepo
devenv project.sln

Not sure why you would think that. Visual Studio is just an IDE... it knows nothing about branches. I've been running 2 Visual Studios to debug the same code on different branches for nearly two decades now.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Could you explain the first two lines of each?  Where is feature 1 and feature 2?  What is the clone doing and what does somerepo represent - a local directory or what?   

Josheir

20 hours ago, ChaosEngine said:

Not sure why you would think that. Visual Studio is just an IDE... it knows nothing about branches. I've been running 2 Visual Studios to debug the same code on different branches for nearly two decades now.

When I use Visual Studio 2017 I use Team Explorer which connects me to GitHub and definitely does know about branches and changes.

You're more experienced but I use this all the time,

Josheir

32 minutes ago, Josheir said:

Could you explain the first two lines of each?  Where is feature 1 and feature 2?  What is the clone doing and what does somerepo represent - a local directory or what?   

ok, so you have a github repository https://github.com/josheir/awesome-project.git

You're working on two features so you create a feature branch for each: feature_branch_1 and feature_branch_2
clone just copies the repository from github to your local machine, so I'm just opening two instances of the same project with different branches in different directories.

44 minutes ago, Josheir said:

When I use Visual Studio 2017 I use Team Explorer which connects me to GitHub and definitely does know about branches and changes.

Fine, just clone different branches into different directories. I've never used Team Explorer in my life, but it took me 5 secs to google how to choose a branch with it. 

It's not hard. Learn how to use your tools. Do you actually understand how git works? It's really important. Learn the command line for it. 

There's a really nice visual tutorial here on git branching. You don't need to be an expert.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
27 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

It's not hard. Learn how to use your tools. Do you actually understand how git works? It's really important. Learn the command line for it. 

I will, thanks for your help.  Command line is pretty exciting for me too.

Josheir

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement