🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Problems with OpenGL

Started by
9 comments, last by Josheir 5 years ago

I am working with OpenGL, I changed about 20-25 lines of code and it is no longer displaying the terrain (big white window.)  I know some people can whiz right through this and know what's wrong.  Where would the smartest place be to put the code: main.cpp, vertex shader, fragment shader and could I have it looked at please?

Thanks,

Josheir

Advertisement

It would help greatly if you put some of the code before and after the change. Randomly guessing why the window went white is probably not the best course of action at this point.

Maybe I should retry from the branch than, so I can make sure it is the suspected code.  Since it is not classes, just straight OpenGL commands, I thought there would be some users that could diagnose very quickly.

Josheir

Anyone willing to give it a try?  Or, should I make sure first.

If you want help, submit code and don't ask if you should try it yourself first ?

If you use git, a git diff of both versions might help too.

Greetings

Maybe "some people can whiz right through this and know what's wrong".

saruman_palantir.jpg?w=656

But they're not on the forum ?

Code. Or it didn't happen.

I got it working from the branch. Thank you all for your responses.  I continue now to adore programming, may I learn quickly.

Josheir

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, DerTroll said:

If you use git, a git diff of both versions might help too.

What exactly is the product of a git diff ?  How is it read?

Josheir

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-diff

Git has a little learning curve.

If you use it for your version control, it can show you differences between two "snapshots" (commits) of your project. That's what the git -diff command does. If you don't use git, then this is not an option anyway.

I mean git, not github ?

The output format is called "unified diff", described at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff#Unified_format

git added a few extensions though, the original format can only show diffs, but not eg moves or meta-data changes (ie file properties).

This remarkable, "unified diff" file is a plain text file and can be used with other tools to use syntax highlighting, otherwise it's not colored. 

Very cool,

Josheir

Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement