🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Shooter with live level editing

Started by
5 comments, last by Horup 5 years ago

Hi.

I recently had the idea to implement a multiplayer shooter, but with the ability to live edit the level while playing (level editing is done using a 2D grid similar to Wolf3D).

The concept can be summarized with the following points:

• Two types of players join the game: GMs and normal players
  • The GMs designs the level, setting spawn points of monsters, adding items, etc. LIVE, i.e. while other players are playing the said level
    • They see the game 'top down' similar to a map editor.
    • they can posses NPC and participate in fights or as part of a dialog/roleplaying. 
  • Normal players play the game, tries to 'win' the continuously developed level that the GMs are designing.
    • Could also be story driven, like D&D, where the GM continuously moves the story forward with input from players. 
    • The GMs can on the fly decide on the direction of the level based upon the feedback from players
  • Since editing is live and done by human beings, advanced types of gameplay 'advancements' can be made
    • e.g. The GMs can decide that a catastrophic event occurs, dropping random blocks on the level or opening up holes.

The concept sounds fun in my head, but I have not found any games that implement this concept, apart from creative games such as Minecraft, although here it is normal players that do the editing. 
I am more or less looking for validation that the concept is fun before throwing a lot of development effort towards it.

What do you guys think about this concept? 

and do you have any examples of its implementation?

Advertisement

Hi Horup,

A game called "Neverwinter Nights" did something like this.

It sounds good in concept.  My only concern is creating the game (or Game Mastering) takes a lot more time than playing the game.  How would you keep the players from moving too fast?

On 6/3/2019 at 3:59 PM, Horup said:

and do you have any examples of its implementation?

The original starsiege tribes allowed you to launch the editor while you were also hosting a multiplayer level, which allowed you to move geometry while people were playing, etc... But wasn't too useful for game-mastering.

There's a bunch of mods for the Arma series that allow this kind of gameplay - with a GM live directing a story/mission (and even possessing units if necessary to join in). Arma 3 added this as an official game mode called Zeus (as the GM is basically a god) - some of the Zeus modes are quite structured though, to create a "balanced" challenge between the players and the GM.

14 hours ago, jbarrios said:

It sounds good in concept.  My only concern is creating the game (or Game Mastering) takes a lot more time than playing the game.  How would you keep the players from moving too fast?

With presets and delays.
If you allow the GM to prepare in advance, and/or have a selection of generic preset encounters, the GM will be able to drop in some filler rooms for the players to work through while the GM works on the custom parts. Also, they can include things like puzzles, "defend the area" timed sections, or loadout changes, to delay players and give them more time. For example, Left 4 Dead had several "defend while waiting for something to happen" sections to slow down the pacing.

Lookup the "Cube" engine, and the game of the same name built with it. It pretty much does what you're describing in 3D.

Looking through the different sources, Neverwinter Nights is perhaps what comes closest to what I am thinking concept wise. 
Although it seems Neverwinter Nights is "offline editing" of maps, i.e. more akin to modding that what I am thinking.

Thank you all for your input. ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement