🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I sold my house 'bout to finance a game development

Started by
44 comments, last by Dan Violet Sagmiller 5 years, 1 month ago
Just now, VoxycDev said:

As far as negativity goes, this forum tends to be rather specific practical solutions-oriented. When subjective things like ideas or feelings get involved, things tend to get heated and out of control rather quickly. I've been burned by this at first too. I've had better luck asking specific questions like "why is this faster than that" or "what's wrong with this".

ohh okey sjo horosho tovarish! :D

I am getting learning my way around... sorry for being a noob

Well that does it.. I am willing to work on some prototyping and consulting about the possible designs for this and then interviewing each programmer to give me a functioning prototype of what i need, Id finance 5 prototypes myself and if  someone decideds he can do it and goes out of his way to do it for free of course i wont reject applications for the project.

I will have to now go back to my drawing board and imagine everything again, recalculate and have everything ready. Ill look into specific things and examples how these designs are made and I already have a small book of 300 pages written about everything I will try to order it in an mearningful way so that whoever the programmer is, will know right away what I need.

I am sure that other game developers also do similar descriptions of projects... ill try to find some online to see how it looks like

Advertisement

This thread is a big oof.

Even though the author is overly sensitive and overreacts like a child throwing a tantrum, I think the biggest problem of this thread is that nothing that the author wrote is clear and concise.

Hide yo cheese! Hide yo wife!

1 hour ago, Gnollrunner said:

Hi again. Just so you know......... When you quote someone you should respond below the quote box not inside it. Otherwise, it looks like he guy you were quoting wrote your reply.

Practice for the quote. Seeing if this response looks right. Thanks for the tip! I have no idea what I did last time; looking at this UI, I'm surprised if I actually wrote inside the quote box. :)

Almo!
10 hours ago, AlanDontAsk said:

I HATE YOU! I literally HATE people like you. If I pay yes I tell them what engine to use. Some dumb programmer wants to use crappy game engine that he can easily program in and some java crap. Plus you move my thread to here? REally? THis is not  a game design question??? Really???? Well if this isn't a game design question then i don't know what is. I am asking about designing the actual levels and THAT IS DESIGNING THE ACTUAL LEVELS literally! You feel competent to talk here and to judge??? Move my thread like that? Really? And then tell me to blindly listen to some scammer programmer?? Really?????? WOW thank you Tom... thanks a lot! So helpful

I don't know what your experience is in leading any form of a team or managing projects in game development or in general, but your people skills need a major overhaul. Having the idea and the money doesn't mean you should lead with an iron fist just because they're "paid" employees. If people don't like working for you then those people will just bailout and find another opportunity. I'm only saying this because you got triggered very quickly just by Tom stating the obvious.... If you have no programming experience then you're responsible for hiring experts who have what you lack and let them materialize your end goals through their expertise and skill sets... Those end goals are going to be detailed in your GDD. Heck, if you don't even understand the technology how are you in any position to suggest the 'best' language or engine for the project and team, or even the technical approaches required in solving the various problems you'll face ahead? How will you provide guidance and support?

I've successfully managed team members by caring more about the end result and less about how we get there. Hire the right people, make the objectives clear, and trust them to utilize their skills and talents to materialize. If you have experience in the various fields within your industry then at least you're in a position in which you're able to relate to those different departments. I personally wouldn't work for someone who didn't know the industry... Heck, I wouldn't be able to respect a team lead that has minimal skills and knowledge in the various parts that keep the machine going.

10 hours ago, AlanDontAsk said:

You know Tom, if I have 5 programmers telling me different things, how can i tell them apart? Are they supposably ALL good? Maybe you need to realize you're ignorant before judging peoples questions. BYE! You can lock my account with that attitude. I never said I'd be telling them what engine to use but I'd try to remotely understand what they are telling me and which one is right and which one is not.

This is a very simple solution... You hire one lead for your programming team. That individual picks other programmers that match his or her requirements. This is why smart business people and leaders put people in positions that are able to fill the gaps that they have, and will act in the best interests of that person and the project as a whole. Your response to Tom clearly indicates you lack the proper experience and skills at this time to lead a team.

It takes a lot more than just some skills and some cash with a big dream to run a team. If you're going to treat your project as a commercial project in any sense, then you need business skills and people skills as well. Do you even having marketing experts ready to go? Do you even have a plan on how you're going to use your $500k? What is your budget plan like? What about deadlines? Are you accounting for your corporate fees, taxes, and legal fees? What about PR? Marketing? Support staff after release? On top of the wages needed to keep staff employed prior to release, ect... Plus server costs, upkeep, and infrastructure required.

This is no small task, and this is why people will suggest you start small first. I would suggest you work on building a team of experts to lead your departments and not take on things you know nothing about.

Best of luck.

Programmer and 3D Artist

12 hours ago, AlanDontAsk said:

Plus you move my thread to here? REally? THis is not  a game design question??? Really???? Well if this isn't a game design question then i don't know what is.

He can move your thread because he is a moderator. You posted it in a wrong forum, it is not a design question because you asked about staff management + technicalities related to programming. It's disrespectful to other people to post in wrong forums (because most people reading Design subforum are not interested in management) and you should at least acknowledge you made a mistake (especially since no one accused you of anything just moved the topic to the proper forum where you would get the best answers rsince it's read by people who are interested in the topic you asked for).

Now the advice:

1) Be wise about your spendings (selling a house does not bring you a lot of money mind you, unless you lived in a real palace :D, so always make sure you know you are doing it low budget and do not go overboard).

2) Hire a lead programmer you trust and leave all the technical decisions to him/her (don't bother with engine choice and so on, on your particular situation it's best to leave it to the programmer). Then let the lead programmer to recruit more programmers (if your budget allows).

3) I would choose a programmer who has a proven record of finishing a game before (any level of complexity).

4) After that's done closely observe and manage the finances, milestones and deadlines.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I don't get it... 3 pages of comments and I'm still clueless as to what the "game" is?  All I've heard so far is, at best, a wishy-washy idea for what sounds more like a tech demo.  Where is the gameplay, incentive to play, fun?

4 hours ago, AlanDontAsk said:

if  someone decideds he can do it and goes out of his way to do it for free of course i wont reject applications for the project.

If you want to recruit unpaid talent for your project, use our Hobby Project Classifieds board. If you want to get feedback on your game's design, use our Game Design board. This forum is for discussing project management matters (that's what you started the thread with). Good luck.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

15 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

A good project manager doesn't tell the programmers what to do. He gives them a detailed GDD and because they're experienced, they know what to do. They know what engine and language to use. You don't tell them what engine and language to use, if you aren't a programmer yourself.

This is good advice and probably you just got it wrong.

Example: You tell the programmer you want huge worlds with details at all scales, using engine X because some guy on a forum says it's great. But the programmer knows from experience engine X can't do that well, and he proposes to write a custom engine from scratch, or to use another engine Y because it worked well in a similar project before. In this case the programmer is in the better position to make the decision, because you don't know anything about programming or engine limitations yourself.

To find out if the programmers are good or not in the interview i suggest you let them show the projects they worked on. Probability is high at least one guy worked on procedural planets or terrain etc. before and you like it. That's surely better than rejecting somebody just because he likes Java, or for other technical reasons you don't fully understand yourself.

If you would not have worked on 3D models for the game already, i would ask if 2D would be an option. Could make things a lot easier. Pixel art sprites are easier to get done than acceptable 3D character animation for example. Might be still worth a thought. 3D Models could be used than in the next, larger project.

About that topic: - google earth

Are we ignoring the fact he sold his house? okay then

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement