🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

best degree for game programming

Started by
5 comments, last by Promit 5 years, 1 month ago

i was looking to get into computer science since it seemed to contain a lot of programming. in the future i want to be a games programmer, but ive heard other courses like softwware engineering would be better for me. which one teaches you what you need to know to be a games programmer the most, and which one contains the most programming, since i do like to program a little.
also, if anyone knew the difference between computing and comptuer science that would help, as all i see on imperial is computing

Advertisement

I'm a little confused: are you or are you not a computer science major or in some sort of program like that?

It sounded a bit like you are asking about courses as opposed to which college education path to pursue. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Slip of the tongue. He was talking about degree programs, not specific classes/courses. Zicre, CS is the generally agreed degree to get for game programming. See many other threads on this question here in this forum. And good luck, do well in your studies!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

17 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Slip of the tongue. He was talking about degree programs, not specific classes/courses. Zicre, CS is the generally agreed degree to get for game programming. See many other threads on this question here in this forum. And good luck, do well in your studies!

Ah, I see. Well in that case, I agree. CS is the best way to go. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Computing and computer science are the same thing, different universities will call them different slightly different things. 

Computer science is more of a jack of all trades. You learn a little bit of everything with the options to select specific modules in your second year. Software engineering will be more programming focused than computer science but you'll also do some networking and logic circuits. Games programming will pretty much be mostly game related programming, as hinted by the course name. 

Not all universities will offer each type of course so it's best to visit the website of the university you're interested in and checking out the course modules to make sure they contain the game related modules you're looking for 

Computer science would be the conventional degree to get; if your university offers a software engineering degree then that is a reasonable choice too. Computer engineering is not generally going to be a good idea unless your interests lie much more with hardware. There are also game programming specific programs (either minors or majors) and the opinions on those are distinctly mixed. I think a minor is not a bad choice at all if offered, but majoring in games specifically is a very dangerous career choice to make.

It is worth noting at this stage that you cannot and should not rely on the university curriculum to teach you game programming. You're much better served using the university to get a wide ranging foundational base of knowledge, and pursue game programming specifically on the side during free time and breaks.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement