🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I hate making character controllers.

Started by
16 comments, last by Sound Master 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm using unity and I always end up stopping my prototypes and one particular point-when I need to make the character controller. I can get away with setting the velocity directly in prototypes but it results in shitty game feel. If I use kinematic bodies then I can't do collision against enemies/walls. Physics interaction is another nightmare. And if you don't use kinematic rigid body then your player can be pushed by enemies in unrealistic ways. 

I'm might not be a coding expert but when it comes coding systems like damage or anything that isn't reliant on physics, I can do it without much of a problem. It's the physics related stuff that always gives me headaches. What's worse is that I can't even find any articles/tutorials on this aspect at all. I can ask questions on the unity subreddit and all I get is that it's highly game specific and I should I implement it myself. But where do I even start? 

Sorry for the rant. But this is an issue which must have been solved already. I'm sure that there are already assets for this but I can't afford them and I'm very much willing to do the work myself. Please, just tell me what I have to do. 

Advertisement

I would suggest you check out Rm2kDev or Brackeys on Youtube... both of them have really good resources and series for this kind of stuff. Or just try out the Unity tutorials, they do a really good job of explaining how everything works as you're building it, and they have tutorials for all skill levels so it can really give you a boost!

1 hour ago, SIr Pep said:

I would suggest you check out Rm2kDev or Brackeys on Youtube... both of them have really good resources and series for this kind of stuff. Or just try out the Unity tutorials, they do a really good job of explaining how everything works as you're building it, and they have tutorials for all skill levels so it can really give you a boost!

Brackeys does not have any tutorials on character controllers. 

I have not watched rm2k vids but they seem to quite old and focus on 2d tile based rpgs.

Rm2kDev is a little older, but he has one video committed to collisions, and how to lay out your levels... What kind of controls are you looking for?

7 hours ago, SIr Pep said:

Rm2kDev is a little older, but he has one video committed to collisions, and how to lay out your levels... What kind of controls are you looking for?

Is it for tile based movement? I'm looking for a tutorial on character controller for an action game like bayonetta or Ys. So it should support some 3d platforming and combat animations.

Show a movie maybe someone can help with direct hints.

Yes it is... Like sound master said, your not giving us enough info to work with here

8 minutes ago, SIr Pep said:

Yes it is... Like sound master said, your not giving us enough info to work with here

1 hour ago, Sound Master said:

Show a movie maybe someone can help with direct hints.

I'm mostly asking about a general problem I have in the prototyping stage. I implement some of the mechanics. Then I feel that the movement sucks and I keep on changing movement code until I give up.

If you are asking about the type of game I need a controller for, it's top down action hack and slash action game inspired by ys and hyper light drifter. 

In one game its 2D, the other is 3D with jumping.

I see nothing special and no problems.

Maybe there is a small misunderstanding here : you having problems with the animations not the movement ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement