🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Esenthel Engine is now FREE

Started by
12 comments, last by hplus0603 5 years, 3 months ago

Esenthel Engine http://esenthel.com/ a high-performance cross-platform game engine is now Free.

Read the full announcement here: http://www.esenthel.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9486

And grab the source code here: https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngine

That's 20 years of my life's work, and you can use it for free.

I've always aimed it to be the most professional, high performance, low memory usage, rock solid stable and very powerful tool for making games and applications.

Hope it can become useful for you!

Thanks

Advertisement

It wouldn't happen to support 64bit floating point, would it?

Yes it does support it in a lot of places, but not everywhere.

Example, there are various math classes and functions for 64-bit, vectors (VecD), matrices (MatrixD), even rendering of non-animated meshes supports 64-bit floating point.

What's not supported on the 64-bit fpu side, are: physics engine (PhysX) and rendering of skeletal-animated meshes.

now this is news I care about. I tried your engine toward the end of the directx9 era and now welcome the opportunity to take her out for a spin again. if I remember correctly, at the time, I went with ogre3d or was it torque but seem to remember animation support from the get go. Thank you. I can see the new model doing well, with continued tool development in the store. I hope to find the time to have a proper sit with it again in a modern environment.

6 minutes ago, GoliathForge said:

now this is news I care about. I tried your engine toward the end of the directx9 era and now welcome the opportunity to take her out for a spin again. if I remember correctly, at the time, I went with ogre3d but seem to remember animation support from the get go. Thank you. I can see the new model doing well, with continued tool development in the store. I hope to find the time to have a proper sit with it again in a modern environment.

Thanks! Let me know if you need any help or have questions.

Could you, please, move your code through formatting and other tools. Coding guideline are really terrible.

Some of your license terms are extremely off-putting:

Esenthel Engine code/algorithms/designs may NOT be used for development/improvement of other Game Engines. You may NOT browse Esenthel Engine source code if you work on improving other Game Engines, in that case you may only compile it with the included tool and work with the compiled binary version of Esenthel Engine.

Troubling, likely an enforcement nightmare, and I suspect not defensible in court though IANAL. Definitely enough to steer people away, though.

Yes it's extremely off-putting for people who want to take stuff out from Esenthel engine and put it into other game engines. But Esenthel wasn't built for that purpose. 

Esenthel was built so people can use it to make games and applications, and for that purpose it's extremely generous, you can use it for free without any royalties or any attribution either. 

I don't want someone copying my codes and turn it into their own competing product. Game engine market is already highly competitive. To me I see it as normal copyright protection. If you're aware of a better protection system, feel free to let me know. Thanks 

21 hours ago, JTippetts said:

Troubling, likely an enforcement nightmare, and I suspect not defensible in court though IANAL.

@JTippetts @esenthel So, from experience as I've talked something similar with my lawyer, who is my friend, in the past (and this counts for Czech Republic - which will be similar, but not necessarily the same, in other EU countries, yet it will differ a lot compared to USA). If your code is open source available, then:

• If somebody upgrades his engine based on the source he read in yours (which is at this point public knowledge), but by creating new source, even similar, you have no chance winning the process (i.e. he doesn't copy the actual source code, but he may copy your ideas - this is perfectly legal here).

Defendant would base defense on fact, that he learned from public knowledge to create new product from scratch. There is no way how to prevent this when your source code is public knowledge. A public knowledge is open source software according to Czech law, no matter what license you put on it.

Also, as Czech Patent Office does not allow patenting of software, algorithms, math methods, not even your know-how (and many many more can't be patented at all) - so even if you would fill patents in your country, by not blocking Czech Republic from accessing it - you added it into 'public knowledge' here (so physical people (people) or juristic people (companies) registered here can use it as source of knowledge.

• If somebody straight copies major parts of your source into their, then you may have high chance of winning the process (depending on judge and court, the result may differ though - so you're not having 100% chance of winning here). This is standard license infringement.

Either way you will get a note that if you don't want your code to become public knowledge, you shouldn't have moved it into public domain at all.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

22 hours ago, esenthel said:

I don't want someone copying my codes and turn it into their own competing product. Game engine market is already highly competitive. To me I see it as normal copyright protection.

Copying code is a copyright infringement. Attempting to prevent someone from browsing your source code if they have ever developed on another engine is not normal copyright protection. Quite far from it, actually. Essentially, anyone who has ever worked on an engine (their own, or others) is putting themselves in danger of having you sue them simply for visiting your github link. While such a suit is unlikely to succeed, and could eventually backfire back on yourself, it could still be expensive for the defendant, so on that grounds alone I would highly recommend people steer clear of this mess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement